As Promised...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jabbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Lucas Lake, Florida
I know it has been a long time coming, but here we go.  Me and my friend, Lex, have spent the last few weeks building the smoker in the Solid Works 3D program.  Once we were happy with everything, we sent the file to the steel shop for laser cutting.  It took them about a week and we finally got it back Saturday.  We were pleasantly surprised to find that they had actually tacked the CC an FB together for us.  The cuts were clean and smooth and exactly the right size and placement.  I know I said I was going to build it out of a tank, but it turns out that using the rolled steel would actually save me money in the long run.  All of the openings, even the drain whole were laser cut for us.  They even cut out the door and rolled it to match the CC.  The CC is 60" x 30" and the FB is 26" square.  I know some of you have been waiting a while to see this and I'm sorry to keep you waiting.  I hope you enjoy it and that it will be worth the wait!

Thanks guys.  There will be more in a few days.  I am going to try to document every part of this build.  I tried to post the design plans, but they were in the wrong format and I can't convert them.  It seems to be coming along very quickly at this point though.  All the time spent crunching the numbers and researching has paid off big time, so far.  

I'm kinda worried about the opening from the FB to the CC... as you said you crunched the numbers ... but man that opening looks small in the second picture

Ribwizzard, I use charcoal and the Minion method for cooking and wood chips or chunks for smoke.  The fire is in the lower part of the box, while the upper part is a warming or holding box.

Mr. Daniels, You are correct.  The opening is on the small side.  I am testing a theory with it for now.  I can enlarge it if I am proven wrong. 

Well, we got a little more done on the smoker.  We got the RF plate in and the smoke stack fitted.  We also got all of the materials cut for the grates.  We would have gotten a lot more done if it wasn't so dang cold.  Sorry there aren't any pics right now.  I forgot the camera.  I will try to get some more up in a day or two.  The progress is going really well and the pieces are fitting together so well.  The only problem we have had, so far, is that they fittings are sometimes a little too precise.  We have learned to leave a few thousandths clearance before sending the file to the laser cutter next time.  I could not be happier with the way it is going.  On a side note...The toggle clamps I ordered were too small.  Does anyone know what size works best?  By size, I am referring to the size of the base of the clamp.  Thanks!!

What are you wanting to hold down with your toggle clamps? 

I get a lot of my stuff from McMaster-carr and they have a great selection of toggle clamps. Odds are if they make it Mcmaster-Carr has it.

I want them to hold the doors closed and the vent slides in position.  I know there are other ways to do this, but I like the look of the clamps.

For the doors destaco 307-u or 307-uss (stainless steel) horizontal hold down clamp are the size I like to use. The handles are a little different than what Ive seen other people use, but I like them better. Go with the stainless steel one if your budget afords. I like the destaco 331 pull action latch clamp for the firebox instead of a hold down clamp. It comes in stainless as well. This is a nice size clamp.

RIbwizzard, I can always count on you to come through with the most precise info.  I actually found the same style clamps with the same measurements and ratings on a different site.  I was thinking that, for the firebox door, the right-angle pull latches would look better than the straight ones.  I would mount them around the corner from the door.  Any reason why these would not work just as well?

I think they would work fine......I just like the handle attached to the door instead of the firebox, so I use a pull latch instead of a hold down latch.   Opposite for cooking chamber doors, I use a hold down style on them.  Also, on the firebox, I dont mount directly to the firebox wall, i like to use a little angle with just enough gap behind it to get a nut and wrench behind it, 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky