Argentinian Cross

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigmagic

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 28, 2015
Central Michigan
Has anyone here used an Argentinian cross to smoke? As much as I love my smoker, I want to try to smoke using methods that do not entail a modern smoker. I would like to know the thoughts of anyone who has used this, or similar methods. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: JLeonard
I cooked lots of things as a kid over a fire but have also done this a number of times with parts and whole birds…

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cherry-flamed-chicken.293114/

I can regulate the temp in the chamber but it will work just fine angled over the heat column. Post pictures if you do it!
There is something about food cooked over fire. I was a camp ground manager for a couple years after retirement. I cook over a fire almost every night. When my boss brought wood, I grabbed as much cherry wood as I could. When I cooked steaks, I put a domed lid over them so catch the smoke. I replace the chain that controls the height with stainless cable and pulleys so it is smooth. I welded that chain around the grate so hotdogs wouldn't fall off. lol Man that was great. What a gig.

Attachments

• IMAG0752.jpg
    IMAG0752.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 24
There is something about food cooked over fire. I was a camp ground manager for a couple years after retirement. I cook over a fire almost every night. When my boss brought wood, I grabbed as much cherry wood as I could. When I cooked steaks, I put a domed lid over them so catch the smoke. I replace the chain that controls the height with stainless cable and pulleys so it is smooth. I welded that chain around the grate so hotdogs wouldn't fall off. lol Man that was great. What a gig.
Open fire or over live fire/coals is my absolute favorite way to cook. Flame searing a steak is perfection......

Just a few more:

Ribeys on the X-Fire...
xf-Ribeye2.jpeg

NY on the Copper Pot vertical.....
copperpotNY2.jpeg

The NY's join by some surf.....
copperpotNY.jpeg

I hit post to quickly.....

The sear of open flame cherry wood on Prime NY's......
CopperPotNY-A2.jpeg

And I self motivate myself as this is the screen on my phone..... I look at this un countable times a day to keep my focus!
CopperLobster.jpg

In Scouts we built some self supporting Argentinian Crosses out of rebar.
They worked pretty good cooking a small pig, but the angle was too high and the top cooked faster and burnt.

I wish I knew who has them, I'd like to get them, modify the angle and try again.

Most of my younger days of cooking outside was open fire. I don't know when I broke down and went o charcoal. Still do a lot of open fire just look at my avatar.

Warren

Reactions: chilerelleno
In Scouts we built some self supporting Argentinian Crosses out of rebar.
They worked pretty good cooking a small pig, but the angle was too high and the top cooked faster and burnt.

I wish I knew who has them, I'd like to get them, modify the angle and try again.
chilerelleno, I"ve seen some online, but many of them want my first born as price for one. It would be cheaper to build one. I saw a few for around $450-$500 but they appear to be cheaply made. I wondered about the top cooking faster than the bottom. I got the idea watching Francis Mallmann on Netflix's Chef's Table. I really like that style of cooking. I find his quite arrogant, but man can he cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky