Anybody use a A-maz-N smoker in a closed gas grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

runway1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Socal
Wondering if it would just snuff out? Any techniques?

Why?....My MES 30" doesn't go over 275° and I want to smoke a turkey at about 325°. Thinking I can add smoke with my AMZN.

I bought the tubes for the guys at work last year for Christmas along with pellets.
They all have turned out some good bbq on gas grills.
Here is how one of the guys told me he does it:
Put the tube (or tray) on one side of the grill.
Light the burner on that side.
With the tube on the grill grates, we've never had a problem with the pellets catching fire or anything.
Put racks of ribs on the top shelf.
They get lots of smoke and you can easily control the temp.
As said above, the smoke exits through the back and sides easily. Nice tbs.
My $.02

Not sure what the smoke is going to be like at those higher temps.. Better see if you can use it at 325 .

Good call JB.
I guess I was focusing more on using a tube or tray in a gas grill and if it can be done.
Not thinking about what the OP was actually trying to smoke.
Thinking a test run to see how it works at 325??

To add to what what they said, gas grills are made with a lot of ventilation to prevent propane or natural gas build up in case the flame ever goes out as well as causing the flame to go out in the first place.

325° might be OK for the AMNPS & the AMNTS.

The Web site says "Tested to 275°", so I would give it a test in the heat of what your plan is.

However I'd keep it away from the flames for sure.

Bear

I use mine in my grill often. I put it below the grate on the unlit side. I have found that it really needs to have a well established burn going so it stays lit. Works great for small batch meals for 1-4 people.

Lots of good points. I think a 'test chicken' might be just the thing. Thanks all!

I've never been able to keep an AMNPS lit in my Weber gasser - too much O2 consumed by the burners. However, the tube smoker stays lit.

My experience using the tube smokers in high pit temp situations is that I can get them to work up to around 285°. After that not so much. Your best bet would be to pipe the smoke into the grill.

I haven't tried the newer expanding tube in a high temp situation. It odes burn faster than the old round ones so maybe it would work better.

As was mentioned above it will work better if placed as far away from the heat source as you can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky