Any tips for Tri-Tip & Spare Ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

upstatesmoke

Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Rochester, NY
Good evening everybody,

I'm going to suprise my father and show up at 4:30am on Saturday and fill the smoker for him n get it going while hes still sleepin.

I'll be doing a tri-tip as well as pork spare ribs.

I've only ever done a brisket which came out fantastic so any pointers or tips or methods that work best for them - post em on up!

Thanks in advance everybody

Good luck! Seems like a lot of food do you have a plan at all? Tri tip is best reverse seared in my opinion. How big is the brisket and what are you smoking in?

MES 30", brisket is planned out - last time was spot on so just a repeat. It only took 2 racks and I have 4.

I want a half rack of spare ribs on one and a tri tip on the other.

Im brand new so i apologize - reverse seared?

Thank you!!

Reverse seared is when you smoke the TT to within 10 degrees of the final temp then sear it on a hot grill to finish it up.

So if you like it med/rare then pull it off the smoker at 120 & sear it to 130-135.

Al

Thank you!!!! That is Exactly what I was looking for!

Any tips on pork spare ribs?

I'll make a post after and share my methods and results.

MES 30", brisket is planned out - last time was spot on so just a repeat. It only took 2 racks and I have 4.

I want a half rack of spare ribs on one and a tri tip on the other.

Im brand new so i apologize - reverse seared?

Thank you!!

Sorry to leave you hanging but glad Al got you covered!

Last edited:
Thank you!!!! That is Exactly what I was looking for!

Any tips on pork spare ribs?

I'll make a post after and share my methods and results.

I like to cook my spares whole if bought that way. I suggest cutting in half or thirds to try different rubs and technics to find out what you like such as foil no foil sauce no sauce it's a great way to find out how you like your BBQ. Good luck and have fun!

Looks tasty,they are a fast cook. I will semi freeze mine and smoke 180-200* to get more smoke on it.

I know I'm a little late to the dance. I just smoked my first TT the other night. Per my cousin's suggestion, I smoked it like a brisket aiming for 195 internal temp. I was a little nervous as most reads say never smoke over 150 internal temp. I put a basic salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, onion and cayenne rub on it. I smoked it for 2 hrs with mesquite, at 225. Then I foil wrapped it with a little beef broth and put it back on until it hit internal temp of 190ish (2 or 2.5 hrs).
I have to say it came out great. It wasn't dry but it could have been more moist. I probably should have wrapped it after 1.5 hrs and it would have been more moist. It was very tender and had tons of flavor. It tasted like a brisket but more flavor. It pulled apart but not as easy as a brisket but close. The kicker is it was on 4.5 hr smoke unlike brisket. Just thought I would share another TT option.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky