Another 120 Gallon Compressor Tank RF Build. Appreciate any help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The mistake corollary is directly related to the busted knuckle rule. Sometimes you just have to bleed first and get it over with......Additionally, mistakes are the basis of wisdom, just think of it as how much smarter you are getting!

Spent time today tuning the CC door with pretty good results.  Welded on 2 clamps but didn't care for them so cut the welds.  Looking for a different design for cc hold down clamps.  Also straightened bent axle.

Jerry

Last edited:
Spent time today tuning the CC door with pretty good results.  Welded on 2 clamps but didn't care for them so cut the welds.  Looking for a different design for cc hold down clamps.  Also straightened bent axle.
Jerry

Sometimes, axles are bent to adjust toe-in and castor and camber....

Counterbalance.  What is a simple way to determine what is needed?  The way my hinges are made, they act as the stop so no need to plan the counterweight as a stop mechanism.  I'm just awfully rusty on the physics needed to figure out a simple counterweight.  Available is 1" box tubing 1/8" wall and pipe pieces 2.5", 3", and 4" and LOTS of excess lead sinkers.  I estimate the door has an opening weight of about 40lbs.  Would like to avoid trial and error welding if there is a known better way.

BTW: Reconfigured my steering wheel today and finished the CC door clamps today using Destaco clamps.  Also welded in my RF plate 90% until I ran out of MIG wire.  Need to get a new 10 lbs solid wire spool and swap gas bottles as well.  Will do that Tuesday.  I've got a 10 lbs spool of flux core but don't care for it.

Jerry

Just for the fun of it, from dimensions, I have a retired school and college friend (engineer type) working on geometry and physics of it to arrive at a 15 lbs lift weight for the door with minimal protrusion off the back of the unit.  Will advise.  Ran out of wire so exchanged bottles today (60 for an 80) and bought an 11# spool of wire at LWS.  Back at it tomorrow.

Jerry

Changed the door handle today and gave it a brush coat of paint  to halt rusting.  Still waiting on thermometers and a decision on counterweight design, so more welding ahead.  Added two gaskets I salvaged from a GE double oven we had to replace.  Used high temp red gasket silicone as adhesive on the bottom of the unpainted gasket strips.  It really seems to clamp down and seal well.  I used black electricians tape to isolate the gasket from the curing tank paint. It only got to 55 today so both will take some time to cure.  I hope it holds.  Have included some pictures to fuel the mind.

Gunna have TBS coming out in no time

Gary

A few finer touches added today from the original ship desk parts and part of the stainless top off a scrap commercial oven. Need to add some steel to the expanded metal where wood will be stored. Next the counterweight for the 60 lbs door. I'm going to have to figure out a heavier steering wheel. It is developing a flat spot.  Stainless shelf is 17" deep and 58" wide.

Jerry

Last edited:
Reactions: gary s
Mighty Fine Looking Smoker    Nice Job        
points1.png

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky