AMNPS driving me nuts. Tube version better?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I guess I'm stumped, why would you not get the tube?  I've been using it for about 8 months and have not had one single problem with it lighting or burning completely and I don't go through nearly the ritual Bear described in his post early on.  I do not microwave or preheat the pellets and only have the torch on them for 2 - 3 minutes then let it burn for about 1 minute blow it out and stuff it into the smoker and watch the smoke roll out.
The tube is easier to keep lit, but doesn't burn as long. I can get 12 hours out of my AMNPS so it's a good choice for over night's. Not sure of any other reasons.

I guess I'm stumped, why would you not get the tube?  I've been using it for about 8 months and have not had one single problem with it lighting or burning completely and I don't go through nearly the ritual Bear described in his post early on.  I do not microwave or preheat the pellets and only have the torch on them for 2 - 3 minutes then let it burn for about 1 minute blow it out and stuff it into the smoker and watch the smoke roll out.
I get too much smoke when I use the Tube in my MES, and it was more trouble trying to cut it down than to just light my AMNPS.

If I was at high altitude, I'd use the Tube.

As for the AMNPS, I never Nuke my pellets, and never remove my chip drawer or dumper. And that ritual I use to get my AMNPS it properly takes me about a total of 4 minutes of actual time. 

Then I get 10 to 12 hours of perfect smoke without touching my AMNPS.

Bear

Last edited:
"Then after about a total of 20 minutes of coming back & blowing that cherry deeper & deeper, I put it on the little bars to the left of my chip burner assembly."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your doing it wrong it just sounds like a PITA.  I don't believe this is all rocket science, it's just making good Q to enjoy.

Hey Bear, why don't you post a brand new Step by Step on lighting the AMNPS   I think it would be great and all the pictures would surly help those struggling 

Gary

"Then after about a total of 20 minutes of coming back & blowing that cherry deeper & deeper, I put it on the little bars to the left of my chip burner assembly."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your doing it wrong it just sounds like a PITA.  I don't believe this is all rocket science, it's just making good Q to enjoy.
Like I said, that 20 minutes of doing it right only occupies about 5 minutes of my actual time.

And it does sound like a PITA.

However which is more of a PITA?

#1   Spending 5 minutes of your precious time doing the job right.

#2  Not lighting it right, and pulling it out every 30 minutes to relight it, until you get tired of it & blame the AMNPS for not working right when not properly lit prior to being put in the smoker.

I think I'll keep doing it the way I've been doing it & instructing others to do it for the last 5 years.

Bear

Hey Bear, why don't you post a brand new Step by Step on lighting the AMNPS   I think it would be great and all the pictures would surly help those struggling 

Gary
There are numerous videos on You Tube showing lighting instructions.   

Microwaving the pellets for one minute, and then another minute after they cool down a bit has always been the ticket for me.

Good luck all,  John

The MES Gen 2 has terrible air flow thru the smoker

Here's the best method for use in the MES Gen 2

Remove the water pan and place it on the floor of your MES Gen 2

Place the burning AMNPS 5x8 on top the hole where the water pan used to sit

Make sure the exhaust is W-I-D-E open

Pull the chip loader out 2" and rotate to the "Dump"position.....VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

The chip loader in the new MES Gen 2 sits inside a tube with a slot along the bottom,  When you rotate the chip loader to the "Dump" position, the open part of the chip loader lines up with this slot, and air is allowed into the MES Gen 2. If the  chip loader is not rotated, this slot is covered, and very little air can enter your MES Gen 2.  Also, the position of the exhaust on the left side of the smoker does not allow for air/heat/smoke to escape directly out of the smoker.  This causes extreme turbulence inside the smoker before it can leave out the exhaust.  Circulation is one thing, but turbulence is another.  There is a reason a chimney sits on top of a fireplace or furnace, not the side!!

The Old Model MES breathes much better because the chip loader is not restricted inside this tube with only a small slot along the bottom.

Todd

The MES Gen 2 has terrible air flow thru the smoker

Here's the best method for use in the MES Gen 2

Remove the water pan and place it on the floor of your MES Gen 2

Place the burning AMNPS 5x8 on top the hole where the water pan used to sit

Make sure the exhaust is W-I-D-E open

Pull the chip loader out 2" and rotate to the "Dump"position.....VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

The chip loader in the new MES Gen 2 sits inside a tube with a slot along the bottom,  When you rotate the chip loader to the "Dump" position, the open part of the chip loader lines up with this slot, and air is allowed into the MES Gen 2. If the  chip loader is not rotated, this slot is covered, and very little air can enter your MES Gen 2.  Also, the position of the exhaust on the left side of the smoker does not allow for air/heat/smoke to escape directly out of the smoker.  This causes extreme turbulence inside the smoker before it can leave out the exhaust.  Circulation is one thing, but turbulence is another.  There is a reason a chimney sits on top of a fireplace or furnace, not the side!!

The Old Model MES breathes much better because the chip loader is not restricted inside this tube with only a small slot along the bottom.

Todd
There you go Gen #2 owners!!!

The Master has Spoken!!

Thanks Todd !!!

BTW: The only change I would make is to wash the Water pan & put it away. Then replace it (on the floor) with a foil pan, so it doesn't need washing.

Bear

There you go Gen #2 owners!!!

The Master has Spoken!!

Thanks Todd !!!

BTW: The only change I would make is to wash the Water pan & put it away. Then replace it (on the floor) with a foil pan, so it doesn't need washing.

Bear
Good Point Bear!

My original water pan is sitting on a shelf, and I use a 8"x8" disposable water pan on the floor

The bottom rack is so hot, that I never use it.  This is a great place to to put a large disposable foil pan.  It keeps the drips off your AMNPS 5x8 and also helps heel your smoker clean

Also, cover the slanted drip pan and bottom drip pan with foil

I have had better luck with the Amazen Dust over pellets for the years I have owned Amazen Products. In the beginning only dust was offered. Personally I think the dust gives a more consistent burn and delvers better flavor. IMO.. I use pellets for longer smokes...bacon...butts...brisket... but for 85% of my smokes I still use the dust Todd offers on his site.

You should have no problem with the pellets burning in Wisconsin if started the way Bearcarver states. You really have to get a glowing red ball of burning pellets to insure the pellets have a large coal bed. This keeps them burning for the complete maze. My Amazen is used inside my MES Smokers...40 and 30 with Fantastic results. Once dialed in you really can't beat the consistent smoke quality of a Amazen Smoke Generator.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky