Amish Mustard Eggs ...My Mom said to share this with you guys...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those really do look good. For you guys that made them did you use the food coloring? That's the only thing I would omit. Thinking it would make great egg salad. Yummmm. I also agree with meateater about the downwind thing. And to think, I have no one's head to hold under the covers. Here kitty kitty.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Reactions: mnmulisha
Those really do look good. For you guys that made them did you use the food coloring? That's the only thing I would omit. Thinking it would make great egg salad. Yummmm. I also agree with meateater about the downwind thing. And to think, I have no one's head to hold under the covers. Here kitty kitty.
icon_mrgreen.gif
Poor kitty.... lol.

icon_mrgreen.gif

I used 4 drops for 2 dozen eggs, sure makes em look perty!

7df69bdf_egg2.jpg

solar yellow doesn't have food coloring in his list of ingredients, not sure if he used any.

f3548d8a_egg1.jpg

They look pretty close to me!

Just made my first batch. I substituted maple sugar for the regular sugar & added turmeric instead of food colouring. I'll try a couple on Sunday night & I guess I'll find out whether me or the wife will be sleeping on the sofa
icon_cool.gif

Just made my first batch. I substituted maple sugar for the regular sugar & added turmeric instead of food colouring. I'll try a couple on Sunday night & I guess I'll find out whether me or the wife will be sleeping on the sofa
icon_cool.gif

Turmeric! sounds like a stroke of genius to me - can't wait to hear how it turns out! 

I have some brewin right now, the only thing I had to do different was use some basalmic vinegar but the sauce tastes just like deviled eggs.....mmmm..... can't wait till Sunday.  Oh yea, looks like they will be brown too instead of yellow.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Great call on the tumeric! I just don't like using food coloring, it creeps me out. LOL! I have saffron and tumeric but I'll go with tumeric since the saffron is so expensive. But on second thought, maybe the saffron would add a little extra flavor. Hmmmm.... again that was a great call!

Just put 2 batches of these in the fridge. 1 w/ the original recipe, and 1 w/ the altered recipe. Will let you know how they turn out in 72 hours. If I can wait.

Mike

Great call on the tumeric! I just don't like using food coloring, it creeps me out. LOL! I have saffron and tumeric but I'll go with tumeric since the saffron is so expensive. But on second thought, maybe the saffron would add a little extra flavor. Hmmmm.... again that was a great call!

I love the turmeric idea because it adds a mustardy aspect, but mostly a curry flavor.  Delicious for devilled eggs.   Saffron always seems more subtle to me, but that may just be because it's so darn expensive, no one uses enough of it in a dish!  My brother did make a kick-ass paella this summer, though.

Thanks Cheryl. 

As for using saffron, I'm not sure that the flavour would be that noticable as opposed to using turmeric. What you may notice is that the colour is a bit brighter with saffron.

As I said, I was out of saffron when I did this batch, but I think I'll go get some to do the next batch. I'll see if there's any difference in colour or flavour.

Darko

icon_cool.gif

Tried some of the original recipe for egg salad, good but a bit too sweet, time to start playing with this recipe.

Tumeric is on the list, increasing the salt to a 1/4 cup and reducing the sugar to a tablespoon

Lisa CSCO,

I made a batch today and was wondering? 

When the dozen eggs are eaten does another batch of liquid need to be made or can you add another dozen eggs to the existing  "juice"?

Thanks,  John (BandCollector)

Last edited:
Well, I tried one of the eggs tonight, after 96hrs.

WOW!!! Good stuff!!! To my taste, not too sweet, but just enough of a hint of sweet. Whether this was due to the fact that I used maple sugar rather than white, I'm not sure.

I think next time I'll make two batches, one with white & one with maple just too see if there Is any difference to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky