Am I the only one that trolls the supermarket for discounted meats?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think it's safe to say that majority people on this website are meat deal seeker junkies!
I second that !!! FYI Talking about deals !!! Albertson's in Denham Springs, Louisiana is running a 3 day sale and has Asparagus for 1.00 a pound !!! Just bought 5 pounds...I'm trying to figure out how to I can freeze it before I go back for some more......LOL

Now I know why I have to get up earlier to find those deals.  You smoking boys and girls know a good deal when you see it. 

I second that !!! FYI Talking about deals !!! Albertson's in Denham Springs, Louisiana is running a 3 day sale and has Asparagus for 1.00 a pound !!! Just bought 5 pounds...I'm trying to figure out how to I can freeze it before I go back for some more......LOL

I wish I could say what they taste like but I have heard pickled asparagus is tasty.

Shoneyboy - I sure wish we could get asparagus here for 1.00 lb.  1.99 in Nova Scotia is about the cheapest since it has to be exported.  Yes I had bought many lbs of it when it's on sale.  Have you tried those green bags (you can get them at the dollar store).  I wrap the produce in paper towels, and I am telling you they can last for near 3 weeks and stay fresh.  Springtime Asparagus Lasagna is so tasty and uses about 3 lbs. 

I was reading an article about dehydrating it... I really do know if it is worth it though…..I love the fresh taste so much I was eating it raw last night before bed…
drool.gif

points.gif
Great sale on Asparagus.  I recall years back living on a farm yard that produced a couple of pounds a day if you watered it right.  It's the first time in my life I ever got tired of asparagus, but it took me the full summer to determine that.  Nothing better than fresh (that day) picked asparagus.

I was reading an article about dehydrating it... I really do know if it is worth it though…..I love the fresh taste so much I was eating it raw last night before bed…
drool.gif
I'd pickle it 1st

Dehydrated you will have to scald it...Just till it got a brighter green, then chop cut into 1/2" chunks to dehydrate.....OH MAN WONDER FULL SOUP...

But if you pickle like any other low acid greens...1/1 vinegar, water or higher...with some onions, Garlic, and Jap.peppers.........

MMMMMMMM MARTINI.....MMMMMMMPICKLED ASPARAGUS.....NUMMMY NUMMMY

Originally Posted by Shoneyboy  

just blanch the and then you can freeze them do t all the time.

Don't you just love it when local grown products start kicking into the growing season?  But to tell the truth, I've not seen asparagus this cheap in years and it's got to be hurting the farmer.  

Blame it on our mild winter I guess.  I'm starting to see signs of it growing in NC.  It's a cool weather growing season that can be extended through summer if you water it in the early evening and pick it the next morning.  I had crops that lasted until the first snow in southern Michigan.  Home grown is the best for sure.  I wouldn't bother to try to freeze or pickle something from not around here.  I'm still of the mind that American farmers take pride in their soil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky