Alelover's Smokehouse Build from Mostly Free Stuff (Maiden Voyage)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did a little bit more this past weekend. Got some primer on it. My daughter convinced me I needed to paint it.

Found the fittings for the propane line. Found a brand new hose and regulator for a 35,000 BTU burner in the top of my toolbox I didn't even know I had.

Got it all mocked up. Going to install it after I paint it.

Last edited:
Scott, morning..... Think about a plate of sorts, under the burner, with an air gap between it and the cement board.... Cement board can transmit heat to the underlying wood... the air gap will stop that from happening..

Dave

Reactions: Plinsc
Keeps looking Better & Better, Scott !!

Can't wait 'til it starts Smelling Better!!!
icon14.gif

Bear

cant wait to fill that thing up in may......................
icon14.gif

Just got back with the stove rope and propane connector. Made a hook for the hose.

Handles installed.

Temp probe.

Heat shield installed. Made some aluminum standoffs to hold up the Backerboard. Board also hold the burner in place so it doesn't slide around.

Firing up the A-Maze-N with some oak pellets for a test smoke.

Test smoke seems to be giving good results. Looks like it works.

Need to finish the stove rope installation.Got the bottom and the right side. Will do the top and left side tomorrow. Hard to do all 4 and get then to stay put while closing the door. Gravity sucks.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Installed the rest of the stove rope on the top door. Made some aluminum plates for the cleats to slide on. Makes it easier to turn them and it keeps the paint on the door.

Made aluminum spacers so the cleats put the proper pressure on the door.

I think the outside may be done. Now I need to go find stuff for the inside.

Looks awesome! how did the doors do at holding in smoke? did you put in any sort of weather stripping? Do you think that the one amazn was enough for that big box?

Sorry for the 20 questions, this may have me inspired to build one of my own...

The A-Maze-N smoker put out plenty of smoke and I only lit one end.

I sealed the door with Wood Stove Gasket Rope. Works great.

Nice!

I haven't used one of the A-maze-n things myself YET, but all of the forums and posts on here have called me to repentance! I have one on the way (thanks to that black Friday sale) and ill be using that for cold smokes and supplements going forward. Very good to know that they are even sufficient for such a large box. I may even find some time to get a mailbox mod going for my MES 30 sometime soon.

I purchased some of that rope for my Char Griller to get the box sealed up, but thanks to the fact that my garage is cold and I cant really bring the thing inside ive got to wait till spring/ summer to get the thing sealed up.

Your cardboard stack cracks me up. The paper that we use in our plotter comes on those tubes. We have hundreds of them a year that we recycle.

Nice!

I haven't used one of the A-maze-n things myself YET, but all of the forums and posts on here have called me to repentance! I have one on the way (thanks to that black Friday sale) and ill be using that for cold smokes and supplements going forward. Very good to know that they are even sufficient for such a large box. I may even find some time to get a mailbox mod going for my MES 30 sometime soon.

I purchased some of that rope for my Char Griller to get the box sealed up, but thanks to the fact that my garage is cold and I cant really bring the thing inside ive got to wait till spring/ summer to get the thing sealed up.
I hope Scott doesn't mind my injecting myself in here, but I see you're from Salt Lake City, Utah, and I looked it up & you are more than 4,000' above Sea Level.

You will probably have trouble with the 5 X 8 AMNPS, and should actually be getting an AMNTS (Tube Smoker). The Tube smoker is recommended for High Altitude Smoking.

Also I would wait and see if you need a mailbox mod before I would build one. Many of us don't need them.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: travisty

I hope Scott doesn't mind my injecting myself in here, but I see you're from Salt Lake City, Utah, and I looked it up & you are more than 4,000' above Sea Level.

You will probably have trouble with the 5 X 8 AMNPS, and should actually be getting an AMNTS (Tube Smoker). The Tube smoker is recommended for High Altitude Smoking.

Also I would wait and see if you need a mailbox mod before I would build one. Many of us don'y need them.

Bear
Thanks for the info Bear! See I don't think/ know about stuff like that, that's why I love you guys! I actually purchased the maze and the 12" tube only because I wanted to see which I would like more, so thank you for the tip!

I may still do the mailbox mod and make it removable, only because I have a great time/ enjoy making mods for my stuff (even though some don't turn out very useful) and once I see something I want to try there is no talking me out of it
hit.gif
. The wife may have something to say about more junk on the back porch though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky