Age of wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

williambsmoker

Original poster
Jun 25, 2021
I’ve been offered a large amount cut pecan wood that has been sitting a while, is there a limit on the age of wood to use for smoking?

Below 14% moisture content, it will burn too fast. That may or may not be a deal killer as buying good cooking wood is getting harder and harder.

Go get that wood!

As long as it's not rotten you should be good... curious what's "awhile" though. Seems everyone has a different definition of that.

If it's still green or wet and you have space to store it for a year or three out of the weather then it's all good.
I find that a dead or dying tree's wood will age faster than a live one that gets cut down or knocked down by a storm.
Live wood will take years to age to 14%, less if cut and split up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky