Affordable Cooking Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I aplaud you for getting set up to make a UDS with the smoke daddy hopper. That's my long range plan too. Right now I have the SD hopper but it's curently on my brinkman ECB box type. 

Pardon my showing off. I'm addressing your not being able to notice the difference between the types of smoke. It may have more to do with your diminished sense of taste than anything else. The subtle nuances between the different kinds of wood smoke that are infused into the meat would take an expert palate to notice the difference. I have a busted sniffer too and love my smoker to death. "You can take my smoker when you can pry it from my cold dead hands!"

I know what I speak of because I'm smack dab in the middle of wine country in Napa CA and a large portion of my firends are in the wine industry that deal with noticing the diferendes in the flavor profile of a type or style of wine. That being said this is just my opinion. It's said n the wine industry that opinions are like bung holes. Everybody has one. 
Kinda what I am thinking...my busted sniffer is the real problem....
What's the price on them ink ? Just wondering ?
Have a picture of the price.....left my phone in my truck...will let you know tomorrow...

That's a pretty good price Thumbs Up

Let us know what you think of them after you've had the chance to use them...

Red

That's very interesting.  Thanks for the update
30.gif

I have minimal options here in Canada. Local stores. 1 sells Traeger pellets approx 22 bucks for 20lbs. 1 sells Lousiana Grill for 20 bucks for 20lbs, 1 sells BBQ's delight for 24 bucks for 20lbs. All are 70% base wood, 30% flavour wood. Plus there are a few that sell BBQ's Delight 100% flavour wood pellets for 7 bucks per pound.

cookin pellets is pretty good with no oils added to them for flavor. if you order from their website its like 23 bucks for a 40lb bag plus 31$ for shipping to california comes out to about 54 a bag. if you have amazon prime you can order the 40lb bags for about 32 bucks and get free 2 day shipping. thats the route i go with them

I use the "cookinpellets" perfect mix. Lot of good reviews on Amazon and it's the same brand that got shipped with my rec tec. I like the flavor it produces and 32$ for a 40lb bag j don't think you can beat that

Reactions: pork dork
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I got my Rec Tec last fall and the time has come to load up on pellets! I have been reading about the choices and it sounds like it comes down to 3 main choices, lumber jack pellets, cookinpellets and BBQr's Delight pellets. I have found that I can get the BBQr's Delights 20lb bags for 15$ a bag, making it 30$ for 40lbs or 75 cents a lb which seems like a heck of a deal. My only issue is there wood choices are limited to pecan, cherry, apple or mesquite and I would really like to try a 100% hickory. I havent called them yet to find out if it can be ordered or not yet. 

What would you do? Are the BBQr's Delight pellets up there in performance and flavor compared to the other two and would one of my choices of wood be suitable for normal mixed grilling and smoking. I have been using the perfect mix cookin pellets and the Rec Tec blend that comes with the kitchen sink bundle. Thanks for the help everyone!

Lumberjack does offer a much larger selection of pellets but it could be you supplier does not currently carry them.

Check out Amazon - delivery included with Prime

Cookin Pellets - 100% Hickory - $31 / 40# bag delivered - my favorite and go to pellet as well as for many on the forum.

Cookin Pellets - Perfect Mix (jhickory, hard maple, apple, cherry blend) - $32 / 40# bag delivered

Just to be clear, it's the BBQ delight pellets I can get local for 15$ for 20lb not lumberjack pellets. There is a competition team listed for lunberjack but I haven't called them yet to find prices or if they even sell them.

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I got my Rec Tec last fall and the time has come to load up on pellets! I have been reading about the choices and it sounds like it comes down to 3 main choices, lumber jack pellets, cookinpellets and BBQr's Delight pellets. I have found that I can get the BBQr's Delights 20lb bags for 15$ a bag, making it 30$ for 40lbs or 75 cents a lb which seems like a heck of a deal. My only issue is there wood choices are limited to pecan, cherry, apple or mesquite and I would really like to try a 100% hickory. I havent called them yet to find out if it can be ordered or not yet. 

What would you do? Are the BBQr's Delight pellets up there in performance and flavor compared to the other two and would one of my choices of wood be suitable for normal mixed grilling and smoking. I have been using the perfect mix cookin pellets and the Rec Tec blend that comes with the kitchen sink bundle. Thanks for the help everyone!
Hi dandiele...

Those BBQr Delights are good pellets.  I've used them several times with very good results.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I don't think they sell 100% hickory...I believe all their pellets are a blend of oak wood and the flavor wood that's on the label.  So, their hickory pellets would be about 2/3 oak wood and 1/3 hickory wood.  IMO, this doesn't adversely affect the taste or the performance of the pellets.

Something else you might check into:  If you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors near you, look there to see if they stock B&B Pellets.  These are re-branded BBQr Delight pellets, and my Academy carries them for around $12 per 20# bag in 4 different flavors: Hickory, Pecan, Mesquite, and Apple.  

Hope that helps...

Red

Last edited:
I think I decided what I'm going with, a local guy sells lumberjack pellets for 20$ per 40lbs!! 50 cents a lb, I will take it! He currently has 100% hickory, pecan, cherry and an MHC blend also, which he apparently created for them and he said is his favorite. Thanks everyone, with BBQr delight and lumberjack available in town I think I'm set for a while!

Reactions: joe fenn
I think I decided what I'm going with, a local guy sells lumberjack pellets for 20$ per 40lbs!! 50 cents a lb, I will take it! He currently has 100% hickory, pecan, cherry and an MHC blend also, which he apparently created for them and he said is his favorite. Thanks everyone, with BBQr delight and lumberjack available in town I think I'm set for a while!
Great!  That's a good deal on those Lumberjack pellets...wish I could find a local source for them in my neck of the woods.

Happy smoking!

Red

Last edited:
HI i live up by bradley airport, can you tell me where the dealer who  yikur getting your pellets from? are you a dealer yet?

thank you , rolling smoke bbq

I am new to the smoking business and just purchased a pit boss pellet smoker.  Has anyone tried the pit boss brand pellets.  I bought a bag this weekend and used them all day on various meats.  They sell them at my local Menards.  $23 for a 40 pound bag.  They seemed to do just fine.  Low ash, great flavor.  I used competition blend.  No issues.  I thought the price was reasonable.  Cheaper then charcoal for the amount used.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky