Affordable Cooking Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tom,

I've got a lemon tree and wanted to know if I could use the trimmings for smoke in my cold smoke generator. Obviously mixed with other wood. I want to put it on in during a smoke but I was wondering if it would be like orange oil for termites but with people?  
drool.gif
I'm sure it'd be fine as long as its properly cured wood.  I've never personally used any citrus woods, so I couldn't say how they perform...but if your mixing them with other hard woods I'd think it'd be ok.

Red

I recently contacted BBQers Delight to find out the closest dealer.  They also informed me that they manufacture the B&B pellets.  Same exact pellet as BBQers delight, only not as many varietys.   Also most of the pellets are 2/3 oak and 1/3 the flavor wood.  I have recently tried Cooking Pellets 100% Hickory and I was able to taste a more smoke flavor.  Only problem is their location is 1200 miles from me. :(

I just got a bag of miron mixon comp blend from sears for 13 and changed shipped (member of their free points program gave me free shipping and a buck off) haven't tried them yet, but got to be good as the 20 dollar tragger pellets

I have recently tried Cooking Pellets 100% Hickory and I was able to taste a more smoke flavor.  Only problem is their location is 1200 miles from me. :(

This is my problem too. I'd prefer to burn either Lumberjack 100% hickory or CookinPellets 100% hickory, as I believe I can taste the difference. Only problem is I can't get either one without getting killed on shipping cost. You almost have to make bulk orders in order to get these pellets affordably, and I just don't have the room to store more than a few bags at a time.

Red

This is my problem too. I'd prefer to burn either Lumberjack 100% hickory or CookinPellets 100% hickory, as I believe I can taste the difference. Only problem is I can't get either one without getting killed on shipping cost. You almost have to make bulk orders in order to get these pellets affordably, and I just don't have the room to store more than a few bags at a time.

Red
Do you have any pellet smoking frineds that could go in on a bulk order with you and keep the portion that you don't have room for? If not you could post an add in Craigs list or smilar that you're looking to order a pallet of Lumber Jack and what their buy in would be per bag. But you'd need to find a location for your share if that's the rout you go.

How about your attic, garage or basement?

beatdeadhorse.gif

Does anyone know if there are corn cob pellets made? or can you just put dried corn kernals in the hopper? Obviously not pop corn. 
hit.gif

Last edited:

Red, The B&B at Academy is BBQ Delight renamed or so I have been told many times on another pellet site
Yeah I've heard that too.  I've been burning a lot of those B&B's with good results, and I can get them considerably cheaper than ordering online and paying shipping.

Thanks!

Red

Hey Guys! Do you notice a significant difference in the quality and performance of different brands of cooking pellets? The premium brands can be pretty expensive, especially if you have to order and pay shipping costs. There apparently aren't a lot of retail dealers in my area who sell pellets of any kind. But I found some real affordable pellets at Academy (thanks, veryolddog). They're B&B Brand, and Academy carries 3 flavors - Hickory, Mesquite and Apple. 20 lb. bags for $9.99. Can anyone weigh in on the quality of these pellets compared to the more expensive brands? I haven't burned enough pellets through my new pellet pit yet to be a very good judge.

What do y'all think?

Red
In case you haven't discovered this yet BBQ delight (my favorite pellets) was rebranded for Academy as B & B.  So enjoy the cheap price as I certainly am...although I'm paying $12.00 for a 20# bag. 

Edit:  Oops..I see you've already heard this. 

Last edited:
I know it's not the perfect solution but if you have Amazon prime or can get Amazon prime you can get free shipping on CookinPellets at least on the competition mix. I was doing that for awhile before I found a supplier where I'm at in Michigan. Good luck

I know it's not the perfect solution but if you have Amazon prime or can get Amazon prime you can get free shipping on CookinPellets at least on the competition mix. I was doing that for awhile before I found a supplier where I'm at in Michigan. Good luck
I actually ordered some CookinPellets off of Amazon earlier this year...they don't do a very good job of packing/handling them.  The bags I received had tons of sawdust in them.  Love these pellets, but I doubt I'll order through Amazon again.

Red

Have not read the entire thread...yet...I have been trying to find a source for pure pellets here in Eastern Washington, just to use in the AMNPS, and have had zero luck. Found a dealer for one of the brands in Kennewick, which is a 4 or so hour drive for us. And of course did not book mark any of the info so now I have to search for it again.

Have been tossing around the idea of a pellet burner. Picked up 4 55 gallon drums yesterday, instead of buying a pellet burner I may just get the hopper gig from Smoke Daddy and build one.....and if that works well for me just build my own.

Anyways....have burnt up all the pellets I got from Todd. Purchasing them from Todd just will not work for me...last pork butt/chuckie I smoked was in the smoker for over 24 hours..burnt up close to 2 pounds of pellets...being disabled and on a fixed income I need a more economical source.

Started using Bear Mountain pellets from Cash & Carry. Neither one of us can tell a difference from one flavor to another. Had some of Todds pellets left...still the only thing we tasted was the smoke, not a particular flavor. Which makes me wonder if hunting down a local source for "pure" pellets is going to be worth the trouble.

When I use the BGE it is loaded with Mesquite chunks, nothing else. Barely taste the mesquite. Smoked some ribs on it a while back...filled it with Royal Oak chunks. Tossed in some hickory chunks, still the only thing we tasted was the flavor of smoke...

I have been dealing with a sinus problem ever since I moved into AZ in '93. Was hoping that it would clear up when I left the nasty air of the Phoenix area. While it has improved, a lot, it has not cleared out. Doc has told me that is why I have a diminished sense of taste. Very frustrating...

I aplaud you for getting set up to make a UDS with the smoke daddy hopper. That's my long range plan too. Right now I have the SD hopper but it's curently on my brinkman ECB box type. 

Pardon my showing off. I'm addressing your not being able to notice the difference between the types of smoke. It may have more to do with your diminished sense of taste than anything else. The subtle nuances between the different kinds of wood smoke that are infused into the meat would take an expert palate to notice the difference. I have a busted sniffer too and love my smoker to death. "You can take my smoker when you can pry it from my cold dead hands!"

I know what I speak of because I'm smack dab in the middle of wine country in Napa CA and a large portion of my firends are in the wine industry that deal with noticing the diferendes in the flavor profile of a type or style of wine. That being said this is just my opinion. It's said in the wine industry that opinions are like bung holes. Everybody has one. 
icon_eek.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky