Accuracy of the meat probes.. Smokin it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Drayken

Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Anyone have the smokin it D wifi model? I'm trying to convince myself to spend the larger sum of money on the 3D over the #3. I'm new to all this, so not sure if I even need the PID, altho I read that I'll get alot more consistent temps, and I like the higher temp of the PID, for chicken. Are the temp probes accurate? If so, then I wouldn't need to go buy a separate dual probe, correct? Saving me money there.

The temperature probes are accurate. Unless you embed it in a fat pocket which renders out during the cooke in which case the probe is measuring and empty space. Also, probes are pretty sensitive to water. Wiping it down without immersing it in water prevents failure. This applies to the D probes or separate Auber PID probes or any remote system like the Maverick.

If you can afford the D I would go for it (always buy your second smoker first). You are right, the PID will indeed be more consistent and while you think you may never use the WiFi feature, you'll get used to it in no time and wonder how you ever smoked without it.

I have a Model 2 (older analog) and use it frequently even though I have a newer pellet grill. The Smokin' Its are made well and I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever model you end up with.

Decided on the Chef Alarm. I did my research, checked out a lot of reviews of the product as well. I noticed many of the smokers who post really good videos on YouTube were using this one. Not all of them but many were. I decided to order one. Sure glad I did. Works great and is extremely accurate. Hope this helps.
TW.jpg
CHEfALARM.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky