ABTs too hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Seems like a keeper to me! As long as she's not sayin' YOU can't eat 'em.

BTW How long are you smoking them and at what temp? I've founf my deveined and de-membraned jalapenos to be too tame after 2 hours at 250. I had to leave some seeds and membrane in to get a little kick.

Use banana peppers, and chop the jalapenos up  and add to the stuffing.  Then you have complete control of the heat whil keeping the great pepper flavor.

Yeah, I wouldn't take Chefrobs advice on getting new girls. My wife doesn't care for hot peppers herself, so when I make abt's, I make some using banana peppers for her, I make pickles from time to time, and I'm thinking of using a pickling cucumber in place of a jalapeno, and see how that works, Iet you all know.

The idea of using banana peppers is good, but can be generalized to other types of peppers.  I love the taste of smoked poblanos and Anaheims myself.  Some poblano ABTs will pick up a smidgen of heat, but nothing like some jalapenos do. 

And if the girls like "normal" jalapeno heat, you can think about putting diced japs into your filling for a poblano or banana-pepper ABT.  In my experience, the japs inside the filling do not get insanely hot like some jap ABTs do.

Seems like a keeper to me! As long as she's not sayin' YOU can't eat 'em.

BTW How long are you smoking them and at what temp? I've founf my deveined and de-membraned jalapenos to be too tame after 2 hours at 250. I had to leave some seeds and membrane in to get a little kick.
I was doing a beer can chicken at around 325, the ABTs went for about an 1 1/2 hr

7a0e591b_DSC01352.jpg

Shes not going anywhere haha
yea, i hate to break it to ya but you ain't gonna do any better. take whole canned green chilis and use them.

sugar water is a very effective remedy for the capsicum in the pepper.  It does however tend to make the peppers soggy. So here is what I do.  

For a normal batch try this:

2 lbs of peppers ( about 24)

24 oz cream cheese softened

1 cup peach mango salsa ( Costco)

1/4cup powdered sugar (or to taste)

thick cut bacon (I like apple smoked)

smoked for 1.5-2.0 at 250-300. 

Slice the side and rib and seed them.  Then mix peach mango salsa and cream cheese till it is blended.  Then the trick...add about a 1/4 cup of powdered sugar to the mix and stuff,  doesn't kill the heat but tempers it enough that tums poppers are not needed as much afterwards.

good luck.  We sell these for $18/dzn.

Mo

Last edited:
after you clean the peppers try soaking them in diet sprite / diet 7 up or regular sprite/7 up for about 1/2 hr.  i've had very good luck with this to still keep some heat, but, not scare away the wimmin 
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky