ABT's (Atomic Buffalo Turds)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Since this thread was kind a hijacked to discuss Dutch Ovens & Cast Iron, I'm returning the thread to the original topic-ABT's!! I ordered a pepper roaster from Cabela's and it arrived last Wednesday. Sunday night I made up some of these puppies and man o man they were good. I stuffed mine with 1/2 of Jimmy Dean sausage link and then pushed a small slice of sharp cheddar cheese down into the sausage and placed 1/2 slice of bacon over the top. Since my oldest son "stole" BOTH of my propane tanks for the weekend I did mine up in the home oven 350 degrees for 1 hour. I placed them in front of the Bride while I finished up in the kitchen and when I went back into the front room I noticed that she had already ate three of the ABT's. I figured that if she was eating them, they couldn't be all that hot. Then I caught her, she was pulling the toothpick out of the pepper and then eating the bacon and then sucking the sausage and cheese out of the pepper. :roll: I scarfed down the peppers that she sucked the stuffing out of and proceeded to fill my belly with the stuffed peppers. There was only one pepper in the batch of 21 that kicked my butt when I ate it. It seemed to have twice the amount of heat as the other peppers. Boy talk about hitting the fridge and chugging down the milk-whew! :shock:
I am definitely going to grow some peppers this spring. I've ordered a catalog from Henry Fields.

Here is a picture of the roaster I bought (picture is from Cabela's-I ate all mine before I thought to get a photo :D)

Earl,
Thanks for splitting the thread.

BTW.........they're ABT's not ATB's! LOL! :shock:

Wait until you taste them out of the Smoker, BIG difference! Just as you can with my Chili Grill.........they can also be done on your Charcoal or Gas Grill!

I'm sure when you get your tanks back, they'll be in there all the time!

Jeff

OK, that's it guys! I can't stand it anymore! I'm going to have ABT's tonight one way or another. There's no more putting it off. I just hope the snow doesn't melt at the olympics when we start eating them :D

Dennis

Careful Dennis, they're addictive!!! I'll try to take the time to print out my ABT stuffing recipe for everyone. But trust me, they're good with about anything stuffed inside them!

Let us know how you like them!

Jeff

LOL.....Im with Falcon.....ive read to much about these lil bugers, not to throw some in the smoker...i guess I have to go to the website and order me some pepper holders....
Todd

I was actually going to get mine (Chili Grill) at Gander Mountain (if you have one near you) If I recall they're around $10-$15. Unfortunately last night when I got out of class it was 8:45, so I ran over to get one before they closed at 9. well it turns out I was about an hour late because for some reason in Feb. they changed their closing hour up to 8pm. :cry: Tonight I SHALL have ABT's even if I have to split them in half!

Dennis

The last time I bought some jalapino peppers I found some smaller sweet banana peppers and I did a mix of both. With the banana peppers being thinner fleshed than the jalapenos I only smoked them for half the time-I did stuff them the same way that I did the ABT's. The only problem was the sausage and bacon wasn't quite cooked through so I just popped them in the nuclearater (microwave oven) for 90 seconds or so and they where great. I think the next time I'll partially cook the sausage and bacon be for stuffing the banana peppers. If any of you all have any suggestions on what to do differently for next time, I'd like to read your comments.

Around the home campfire my friends call them (Atomic Bear Turds). I made some last night (pork chops also) and got pretty lucky on my peppers, not tooo much heat and great flavor. I split them in half, fill with cream cheese, top with pulled pork, or strips of smokey links, or smoked chicken and then wrap them up in a full pc of bacon, hickory smoke for about 1 hr at 225, then turn up some until the bacon gets crisp. I have also been caught putting slivers of Portobella (my favorite) mushrooms along with some type of meat and mozzerella cheese. These also go great with smoked and stuffed Portobella mushrooms, but that's another story. I will add some pictures when I get to the shop (camera cord is there). BEAR
6e4895d6_vbattach10545.jpg

Damn, Bear...you're killin' me! I'm barely thru with breakfast and already I can't wait for lunch. Looks like I'll have my head in the smoker again this weekend... :)

Cheers,
Brian

Yipee, it's almost lunch time and it's a good thing too after seeing Bear's pic. Got me some leftover Smoked Chicken Fajita meat with onions and mushrooms (added to the mix when I realized that there was going to actually be leftovers :D) that I'm stuffing into a couple of hard rolls.

I've been comming back to this thread often and trying to decide whether or not to try these. I think I will have to as soon as I find a pepper that's not too hot (we live on the milder side of life). However instead of buying the chili rack I think I may use a little kitchen inginuity. If we really like them I can always invest, but in the meantime I'm breaking out the foil pie plates and kitchen shears. The plan as I've enginered it (lol) is to put an inverted pie plate ontop of a regular one and secure them together somehow. The cut holes big enough for the peppers to stand up in. Tada, homemade chili rack. It's a thought and cheaper on the budget. If I get a chance I'll try and post a picture of what I create.

J, we've made these with sweet peppers for guests that aren't accustomed to the heat. There are varieties, red, yellow, and green that are shaped very similar to jalapenos that have no heat. I believe Mellisaâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s brand carry them. You've got to try stuffed peppers one way or another (even if you have to brave a little heat) they're awesome. :D

Pretty nice job, there Brother Bear! Lady J, as Bob stated, you can use a milder variety with no problems (but where's the fun in that? :D ). Also if you decide to go the Pie Pan route, make sure it's sturdy enough to hold the pepper - the get a bit weighty once they're stuffed and wrapped. You can also use wooden or bamboo skewers, and lay several out flat on the racks. Be sure to wrap the bacon over the top so the stuffing doesn't leak out!

Good Luck!

Jeff

If you want to go for milder heat and don't want to bother with a rack, use poblano peppers (these look very similar to bell peppers only slightly elongated) and cut them in half lenthwise. Stuff the shells like shallow dishes and top with bacon, or cap with the other pepper half. They're good either way and are a great alternative for those of us with milder tastes.

Scott, I grilled a dinner for myself when the wife and kids were out of town and one of the items was a stuffed home grown pablano. :D
0079.jpg

I don't have pictures of the "no heat" peppers though. :( They looked good with all the colors.

Hey Bob- is that your famous "brick and skewer" rack? :P

Two years ago, I grew some mild variety jalapenos. They were perfect for some one like me who just doesn't appreciate excess heat. I made tons of ABT's out of them and stuffed them with just about everthing except ice cream.
After trying tons of ways to hold the little buggers upright, I fianlly started using something very similar to Bob's picture above. I used metal skewers over a cheapy ribrack. It's real easy to load up in the kitchen and transfer to the cooker.

Bob, poblano's are awesome, I often make traditional stuffed peppers (ground beef, rice, onion) in them instead of bells. Instead of tradional rather bland tomato sauces on top, I like to use canned enchilada sauce.
Now I've gone and made myself hungry :x
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky