A Question About the Juice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave schiller

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 7, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I smoked my first brisket a couple of weeks ago.  It turned out well, but what a mess it made in the bottom of the smoker.  It's a typical horizontal offset unit and there was a pool of juice along the bottom, well over a pint.  I removed it and cleaned up the residue.  So what's the best way to eliminate this problem in the future?  I guess I could put a pan under the brisket and hope it doesn't interfere with the flow of heat/smoke coming from the firebox.  Or I could drill a hole in the bottom of the FB at one end and then tilt the smoker so it all runs out, catching it in a small bucket.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe your first modification will be a drain tube. [emoji]128512[/emoji] I never had an offset smoker.. but people do use foil in the cook chamber bottom. and some put in a drain tube.. then you can tilt it a bit maybe and run the liquid out.. or use a scraper thingy. More advise from offset owners is required here.. Lol it's no biggy.. have fun!

,Johnny B

Last edited:
Johnny, I think catching all that liquid on foil would be difficult to handle when getting it out.  My thought is to drill a drain hole at one end of the CC (lowest point) and catch the juice in a container.  As you suggested, tilting the smoker would direct most of it to the hole.

I just buy a new smoker whenever it's to dirty or put the dog in it to clean it up. [emoji]129299[/emoji]
th_HaHAAHaa.gif
worthless.gif

Don't waste the juices. Two choices, meat in the pan or drip pan below. Lots of guys use pans in all types of smokers. As above, a pan of beans is a good choice. I put veggies to make Au Jus in a drip pan in the offset l had with no noticable effect on temp or smoke flow. Meat in the pan keeps you from frequent cleaning. A brisket or butt takes several hours. Giving the meat a flip after a few hours gets plenty of smoke on all surfaces...JJ

I hate wasting those awesome juices. Whenever I do briskets or butts they get panned to catch all that goodness. I don't pan until the it hits about 165 and the juices really start to flow out of the meat. I usually add a few ounces of dark beer to the pan to mix in with all the juices to add another flavor profile. After I rest pork butts for a couple hours I pull the butts in the same pan with the juices. The meat usually absorbs all the jices in the bottom of the pan. I never have dry pulled pork always juicy.

I also have a drain on my offset. One of the small citronella candle buckets fits under it perfectly to catch any excess grease during cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky