a poll, how rare do you like steak?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Who in their right mind would order a fillet mignon hockey puck style? that's bordering on offensive. Especially for one of the most expensive cuts of cow. Respect the meat.

You got that right Bro!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Med. well and well should be banned!!!
I like mine anywhere from raw(especially tenderloin) to med. rare if it's bleeding enough!

Okay, I have to tell the story of the first dinner when my soon-to-be-husband and my father met:

My dad still lived in Houston at the time, and we went out to visit for a few days. Dad decides to take us to The Taste of Texas, which is a pretty decent steakhouse (kind of expensive and touristy, but not bad, either). Now, my husband comes from a family where everything was cooked to DEAD BLACK, with the thought if any pink showed, it was thought to cause immediate food poisoning.

He found out that tenderloin was also a very lean cut of meat, and being the fat-phobe he is, started to order filet mignons. Well done.

So, we're in the steakhouse, placing our orders, and my husband orders filet mignon. Well done, please. Our waiter, bless his heart, kept a straight face and asked if he'd like it butterflied, and my husband (who didn't know what "butterflied" meant, as I later found out), said no. I happened to look over at my father, who dropped his menu just enough for me to see his expression looked like this:
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif
Then whispered, "it's a good thing he's a nice guy, else I'd have to run him out on a rail for doing that to a piece of good meat."

It took a few years, but I eventually convinced my husband that he won't die if he ate his steaks medium.

i get the grill as hot as possible and throw one on and count to 20 then flip and count to 20 and then on to the plate..that's if i'm cooking anyplace else and it's med.

My wife used to like her steaks well done. Now she likes it between Med. and Med. Well. I got her to see the error of her way by cooking her steaks the way she wanted (Well Done) and not adding any seasonings. She would complain that the meat had no flavor. I convinced her that cooking steaks to well done cooked out all the flavor.

When we go out she'll order it Well Done 'cause she knows that when it comes to the table it will be at least be Med.

When I grill steaks, mine is the last one to go on the grill. It's grill over a searing hot heat long enough to put down some nice grill marks in a diamond pattern. So for me it's Rare with a box of bandaids on the side.

I like my steak "Black and Blue" or "Pittsburgh Rare". What I've done a few times is to take a small (4 oz or so) filet mignon (or 2, or 3), and cook it on the hottest fire I can create without the use of thermonuclear weapons.

For me, that means taking the grid from my Weber kettle, and setting it right on the top of a roaring hot chimney starter, about 3/4ths of the way full of charcoal. This is a trick I learned from watching Alton Brown, who described it as "like cooking over the upturned engine of an F-16". Sounds about right to me.

The meat ends up coming out with a serious tasty crust on the outside, but is barely cooked on the inside. Yummmmm.

WOW!!! I'm the odd one.............used to it.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

We like'm well to well done. Not into blood. Raised cattle as a kid, plenty of blood from dehorn'n.........really don't want to see it again.

Haven't had a steak at a rest. for so long I can't remember where it was at.......not a clue. When I eat at a rest. I eat what I don't cook at home. Mostly soup/salad and a few beers. Don't eat out much.

When I cookem at home, they are med well to well done. Plenty of juice. Looks are important, and blood running into the baked tater is wrong.

I've had 1 t-bone that was med rare to rare. Friend cooked it, wasn't going to complain. Hard to swallow. Lucky I was 3 sheets......etc.

To each their own, but if you want I can show you things that would make you go to well done quick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky