A-Maze-N vs ProQ Cold Smoke Generators

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Please see my above post, currently I am smoking in a box, but as soon as i am done cleaning and re-seasoning my CG I will be using that instead. 

The AMNS just seems like it would get warmer during the smoke as the cherry would pass the same row "partition" twice in a much shorter period of time, meaning it would not cool as much before the cherry hit it again.

LOL---I thought this game was played, and the USA quality Stainless Steel construction with superior performance won 38,000 to 0.

Must be a "Re-Run".

I'm changing channels!

I just read this entire (currently) 8 page thread and this is the most inspired and intuitive comment thus far and I appreciate your insight about the products.

This ProQ v AMNS battle is interesting. I currently live in the UK and can honestly say that before I purchased the ProQ cold smoke generator and discovered this forum I had no idea that the AMNS even existed. My suggestion to Todd would be that he needs to expand his brand abroad and at least associate similar search terms with his product as it did not appear on any of my searches when I was researching which product to purchase. As a consumer having choice is what, in my opinion, keeps industries accountable and encourages improvements and ensures that we as consumers have access to the best possible product available. If I don’t know you exist, I loose my ability to decide and instead have to settle for what I can find.

After receiving the ProQ CSG and using it for the first time I can say that it worked well however the durability of the wire meshing used in its construction is of slight concern. Like others who flagged up some of the disadvantages of the candle light method, I use a small cook’s torch to get the smoulder started and wondered if I was possibly damaging the meshing while doing so. Aside from that I would say it does what it says on the tin however I plan to pay much closer attention to some of the details that other posters brought up such as the capacity, burn times and temperatures and ease of use.

Seriously, all of this posturing is pretty silly. With that said I happen to also agree with Scarbelly about handling yourself in a professional manner regardless of the situation especially if you are representing a company which you are promoting. I’m afraid that Ian, in this situation, you have let yourself down. Also I feel like members of this board have got carried away with patriotic behavior and certainly haven’t put your most objective foot forward.

I am happy that there is a forum for this type of discussion (I know there are many but this is one of the best) and I look forward to learning as much as possible from my fellow posters and mods as well as from the various sales people with the latest and greatest. What I am not interested in is country or culture bashing in the name of patriotism. To me that is a played-out record, not to mention has nothing to do with gloriously smoked meats.

In the immortal words of Rodney King; ‘Can’t we all just get along’ and eat smoked meat?

I think i said this before maybe.

Why would you want a candle making residue into your smoker?

Get the AMNS way better

I just read this entire (currently) 8 page thread and this is the most inspired and intuitive comment thus far and I appreciate your insight about the products.

This ProQ v AMNS battle is interesting. I currently live in the UK and can honestly say that before I purchased the ProQ cold smoke generator and discovered this forum I had no idea that the AMNS even existed. My suggestion to Todd would be that he needs to expand his brand abroad and at least associate similar search terms with his product as it did not appear on any of my searches when I was researching which product to purchase. As a consumer having choice is what, in my opinion, keeps industries accountable and encourages improvements and ensures that we as consumers have access to the best possible product available. If I don’t know you exist, I loose my ability to decide and instead have to settle for what I can find.

After receiving the ProQ CSG and using it for the first time I can say that it worked well however the durability of the wire meshing used in its construction is of slight concern. Like others who flagged up some of the disadvantages of the candle light method, I use a small cook’s torch to get the smoulder started and wondered if I was possibly damaging the meshing while doing so. Aside from that I would say it does what it says on the tin however I plan to pay much closer attention to some of the details that other posters brought up such as the capacity, burn times and temperatures and ease of use.

Seriously, all of this posturing is pretty silly. With that said I happen to also agree with Scarbelly about handling yourself in a professional manner regardless of the situation especially if you are representing a company which you are promoting. I’m afraid that Ian, in this situation, you have let yourself down. Also I feel like members of this board have got carried away with patriotic behavior and certainly haven’t put your most objective foot forward.

I am happy that there is a forum for this type of discussion (I know there are many but this is one of the best) and I look forward to learning as much as possible from my fellow posters and mods as well as from the various sales people with the latest and greatest. What I am not interested in is country or culture bashing in the name of patriotism. To me that is a played-out record, not to mention has nothing to do with gloriously smoked meats.

In the immortal words of Rodney King; ‘Can’t we all just get along’ and eat smoked meat?
I can't remember Rodney saying that.  
biggrin.gif

Let's also not confuse Blind Patriotism with the ability to know that good old American Perforated Stainless Steel Plate is much better construction material than British window screen, or American window screen , or window screen from any other country.

To say something is made better just because it is made in one country over another is indeed questionable, although proven many times in the durability of "made in America" items (when you can find such a thing), but I'm sure if anyone compares the material & workmanship between the two items, they will see the differences.

As for how hot the AMNS gets (from jojo22) because it passes through the same area twice, in the maze pattern, instead of the window screen's circular pattern, I can assure you that the heat that was at that part of the AMNS is completely gone in minutes, and nowhere around when the heat comes back through that same area.

Bear

Last edited:
Point taken about better construction = better product however I would still shy away from branding anything Made in USA superior.

Anyway, I guess when my ProQ CSG mesh burns out I will replace it with the AMNS. Assuming it works the same with a more durable build quality, seems like a no-brainer.

No harm, no foul.

ZUL,

I've received requests from a number of dealers in the UK and Europe to sell my A-MAZE-N-SMOKER.  Shipping costs are an issue with most of them, but I do sell my A-MAZE-N-SMOKE thru a dealer in Sweden and another in Australia.  "Made In USA" was an important feature for both the dealers, mostly because the United States is a leader in the BBQ industry.  This not to say other countries can't make decent BBQ products, it's just that BBQ is associated with the country that invented it.

By keeping my fabrication local, I can make changes on the fly.  If I relied on a fabricator in China, I could wait 6 months or more for delivery, and not have the ability to make changes.

Bear is correct, that the area at the turn does not contribute to the fire jumping of rows.  It can happen when temps inside the smoker get above 180°.  There are a few tricks we use, so the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER can be used at higher temps.

Todd

AMNS performs, simple to use, and great quality w/ out a doubt PERIOD. 
[h1]“Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country”[/h1]
(Calvin Coolidge)

Sean

Last edited:
it's just that BBQ is associated with the country that invented it.  
So...what you are sayin' Todd is that MADE IN CHINA is a good thing???

jaw-dropping.gif
pot.gif
...I mean - they have been BBQ'ing for 5000 years....That is a little before we invented it here in the good ole USA..... Just teasing you about that statement...WE have become known world wide for our BBQ - I think that was what you meant. BTW - I have the 6x8 Amazin Smoker - and I really like it a lot. I do like to support made in the USA. ( That is why I bought a Yoder pellet grill vs a Treager or GMG, etc)......

Haha, Tees.....  I didn't want to be the one to say it.  "In Europe smoking meats was practiced for thousands of years before the discovery of America and it was a necessary survival skill."  But I still stand by the AMNS.

Sean

Let me add my 5 cent worth . first well done Todd for keeping manufacturing in the USA and not  in china . my last tread show in Vegas last year most off the items were imported from china or India, no more made in the USA. pity.well done Todd.

i bought a  proQ that is the only one sold in south Africa am i  happy with it ? no i am not it is to sensitive to the type off wood and the thickens off the wood(powder)

i can't wait for my Friend to arrive from oh with my A-MAZE-N .

sausage.gif

Last edited:
teesquare,

Cooking food with wood and/or smoking it, predates BBQ in the the United States by centuries, but the term "BBQ" as we know it, was invented in the United States.

People around the world associate "Modern BBQ" with the U.S., just like the American Cowboy or the game of Baseball.

It's important for me to keep my little gadget Made In U.S.A.

Once you go to China for fabrication, the cheaper knockoffs hit the market almost immediately.  Having a product manufactured in the U.S.A gives you  some control over production and some patent protection.  Once it hits China, there's no protection whatsoever!

TJ

teesquare,

Cooking food with wood and/or smoking it, predates BBQ in the the United States by centuries, but the term "BBQ" as we know it, was invented in the United States.

People around the world associate "Modern BBQ" with the U.S., just like the American Cowboy or the game of Baseball.

It's important for me to keep my little gadget Made In U.S.A.

Once you go to China for fabrication, the cheaper knockoffs hit the market almost immediately.  Having a product manufactured in the U.S.A gives you  some control over production and some patent protection.  Once it hits China, there's no protection whatsoever!

TJ
Too bad Henry Ford didn't invent charcoal 5,000 years ago, so Europe & China could use it.  
ROTF.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky