A-Maze-N vs ProQ Cold Smoke Generators

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One.more thing...haha
I got a spray can of high temp header paint from the auto parts store and painted the fresh drilled holes...I don't know that they'd have rusted but I figured better safe than sorry.

Walt

All:    Has anyone tried cold smoking bourbon or other liquors?    Any luck or pointers you can post?    I had a smoked bourbon Old Fashioned recently where the bartender used a smoke gun and it was fantastic.   I was thinking of adding smoke to a bottle of Maker's, but would love to hear from someone who has had experience.    thanks,    JJ

Hi Walt,
I bought the XL44. It has 2, 12000btu burners. That sounded like a lot when I bought it as my Xmas present to myself, but at 30 degrees, I couldn't keep heat. I bought the heat resistant felt to seal the doors and I covered it with insulation and it helped a bunch. Now that the weather is warmer, I removed it. Now I use one burner on high. I have a couple of bricks covered with foil to hold some heat and I removed everything above the burner and put a cake rack over the hole. I'm using a cast iron pan and wood chunks, but I want more smoke. Never used the tube, so Amazon here I come.

JD

Hi JJ,

Smoked bourbon is fun, isn't it. [emoji]128515[/emoji]
I split 1.75 of Jim Beam and borrowed a smoking gun. Added smoke to both bottles and waited a week. I probably didn't have to wait so long.
Makes a great Manhatten!

JD

You'll like the tube...you can order one right from Jeff on this site...I don't think there's much if any price difference though.
Sounds like your on the right track...it took me most of the first summer to get mine dialed in and I still play around with different ideas...keep fiddling with it...when you get it dialed in you'll love it and if you learn anything cool give me a holler.
Walt.

My next project is to figure out where to put the water pan. Probably going high tech with a couple of bricks.

[emoji]128512[/emoji]

JD

I haven't used water in my pan for several years and NEVER had an issue drying out anything and I've smoked everything from hard boiled eggs, olives (different but not great), cheese, whole cream (to make smoked butter) and every veggie, herb, spice or meat you can think of.
I know there's great debate about water vs no water, I'm just saying in my experience I've had ZERO issue. Just my 2¢

Walt.

Last edited:
I haven't used water in my pan for several years and NEVER had an issue drying out anything and I've smoked everything from hard boiled eggs, olives (different but not great), cheese, whole cream (to make smoked butter) and every veggie, herb, spice or meat you can think of.
I know there's great debate about water vs no water, I'm just saying in my experience I've had ZERO issue. Just my 2¢

Walt.
Most MES owners will agree with you.

There's already plenty of humidity in an MES, because they're so well insulated.

I haven't put anything in my Water pan in 7 years.

Bear

About the only time I use water is with chicken drumsticks. The skin pulls back and the meat gets a bit tough without.
We eat a lot of yardbird here. LOL

JD

put water in my MES the 1st couple of times I used it then stopped haven't used water for a long time my MES seems to always have moisture/condensation on the glass window
Yup---PITA !! Gets heavy & runs down the door.

Every time I wipe it, comes right back.

Time of year seems to matter more than what I'm Smoking.

My Gen #2.5 does it more than my Gen #1 used to.

Bear

I say north central it's probably more central I'm originally from Lewisburg (home to Bucknell) app 55 miles north of Harrisburg
OK---Yeah, more "Central".

I think Adam "cfarmer" lives in that area of PA.

One of my Carved Bears is mounted in a Tree in Potter County, and he's been attacked by Real Bears quite a few times.

The guy I sold him to calls me every time he gets attacked.  LOL

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky