A little spin around the...kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
Just test-fitting my new joetissery
E71FA2BF-EDD1-4D8D-98A5-16C3F4D9460E.jpeg

Trussed and spitted
6BA628F8-2941-4E21-95F9-EB8B1CF1AED8.jpeg

Loaded and starting to spin
73160AE0-780E-4230-A306-7294616ADBF1.jpeg

About 40 minutes in. Realized I should have trussed before spitting. Oh well, live and learn.
B6E427A3-DA56-4878-B369-B5D9CB90361E.jpeg

Hot off the grill
878EACAE-877F-46CC-9360-2F96DD7E2FBE.jpeg

Ready to carve after 10 minute rest
5EDB7C98-CF07-4323-A401-AAFCEB441B34.jpeg

Carved and ready to eat
E5F2529C-75B1-447B-961D-A66F31093D35.jpeg

An hour and ten munites at 350 degrees. Very juicy. Son said even juicier than beer-can chicken. Which raises the question, should I spin the bird and just drink the beer?

Attachments

• FE1B1D0F-DAF0-4890-95E3-997CAEA30A71.jpeg
    FE1B1D0F-DAF0-4890-95E3-997CAEA30A71.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 5
Looks delicious! Rotisserie bird is hands down better than beer can bird as you found out! I also like brining them before spinning. Love the Kamado Kontraption! Looks like fared just fine without trussing. But If you cross the drumstick legs and stick them inside the pit forks you don't need to truss them. The wings fold back like you did. LIKE!
spin pic.jpg

Looks delicious! Rotisserie bird is hands down better than beer can bird as you found out! I also like brining them before spinning. Love the Kamado Kontraption! Looks like fared just fine without trussing. But If you cross the drumstick legs and stick them inside the pit forks you don't need to truss them. The wings fold back like you did. LIKE!
View attachment 367093
Thanks, that’s great tip about catching the legs in the tines. As far as brining, I only eat kosher and kosher meat is already brined. So...just a side benefit.

Looks like a great smoke,

Point for sure.

Chris

I wasn't hungry until I saw your post. Looks great.
Thanks for the tip about crossing the legs, browneyesvictim (sounds like a story behind that). I am definitely going to try that. That's what I love about this group of bbq folk, always something to learn.

Thanks, that’s great tip about catching the legs in the tines. As far as brining, I only eat kosher and kosher meat is already brined. So...just a side benefit.

I guess I need a "re-education"... I always thought the process of Kashering was using salt to (dry) draw the moisture and blood etc. OUT which will make it dryer. But not like a typical "dry brine" either. So it is a misnomer to claim kosher birds are "brined". Yes, salt is used, but for the opposite effect. True brining will add moisture up to 10% or more and add flavor and tenderize as well. Can you truly "brine" a kosher bird and still be eating kosher or would that negate it from being kosher any longer? Of course, respecting your choices, just asking hypothetically from a culinary standpoint.

I wasn't hungry until I saw your post. Looks great.
Thanks for the tip about crossing the legs, browneyesvictim (sounds like a story behind that). I am definitely going to try that. That's what I love about this group of bbq folk, always something to learn.

Nope. No story. Just made sense to me. I've done a lot of birds on the 'ol spit rod. My Showtime has been "repurposed" now though, and they all go over charcoal.

I guess I need a "re-education"... I always thought the process of Kashering was using salt to (dry) draw the moisture and blood etc. OUT which will make it dryer. But not like a typical "dry brine" either. So it is a misnomer to claim kosher birds are "brined". Yes, salt is used, but for the opposite effect. True brining will add moisture up to 10% or more and add flavor and tenderize as well. Can you truly "brine" a kosher bird and still be eating kosher or would that negate it from being kosher any longer? Of course, respecting your choices, just asking hypothetically from a culinary standpoint.

Nope. No story. Just made sense to me. I've done a lot of birds on the 'ol spit rod. My Showtime has been "repurposed" now though, and they all go over charcoal.

You are partially correct. The first staging of kashering meat is in fact a dry “rub” of salt. After a period of time the salt is washed off and the the meat is soaked in cold water. This removes the excess salt as well as allowing the meat to absorb a certain amount of moisture. So, techinically it is not brining, but a two stage “pseudo-brining” process. Today most kosher meat comes already kashered, but back in the day (when I was a kid), my Bubbie did it at home, where I learned how a balabusta does it.

Reactions: browneyesvictim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky