9 Turkey's for Thanksgiving. (Heavy Qview)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well Sunday was the big day to smoke Turkeys for my family and a few guys at work. I ended up with 9 birds and barely got them all on the smoker with all the aluminum pans. Next  year I am going to hang them in those smoking nets and then I will have much more room. I used Big Guys brine and I can't wait to try the bird on Thanksgiving. These will be warmed in the oven with some broth and covered in tinfoil to try and keep he bird moist. We cut into one last night after a few to many beverages just for a little taste and it was nice and moist. These birds took way less time than I was expecting. I was running at around 250 degrees and they were all done in four hours. I was expecting five hours so I probed them  at the four hour mark and to my surprise they were all done. Actually a little more done than I wanted. I was going to pull at 165 and they were at around 175-180. I will remember that for next year. I have smoked plenty of birds but never this many at a time so it was a learning experience. I had trouble with my AMazeNSmoker in my big smoke house and ended up not using it. I got it too close to my propane burner and it burned it all up in about an hour. I have to move it to another area in my smoker next time where it isn't in the direct line of my burner. I ended up using cherry wood chips in my cast iron plate and could have used a little more smoke but they are still lightly smoked which is nice. My cast iron plate burns through chips so fast and I didn't have any Chunks so I had to use what I had on hand. Oh well it will still be smokey and I didn't want them over smoked. Well enough babbling here is some Qview.

The birds all thawed and chilling in the cooler.

dad55d89_DSC00398.jpg

Sitting in the brine.

981ffbdc_DSC00399.jpg

Had to put plates on them to keep them under the brine.

b4584e22_DSC00401.jpg

All brined and rinsed, rubbed with olive oil and seasoned with Old Bay.

81925bf4_DSC00398-1.jpg
b8f0e919_DSC00397-1.jpg

d9439412_DSC00399-1.jpg

In the smoker.

9db6fd66_DSC00400-1.jpg

6896d76b_DSC00401-1.jpg

255cd880_DSC00403.jpg

A couple of hours in.

b287cf32_DSC00404.jpg

All done and after resting for about a half an hour. This is the one we cut into.

79e09af5_DSC00406.jpg

A close up shot.

10164c76_DSC00412.jpg

Me and my helper. I was glad my buddy could come over and help me out. That would have been a pain all by myself. I'm sporting my new smoking coat (aka. welders jacket) that my dads buddy gave us last weekend at deer camp. It works great for smoking.

0ac8ed8f_DSC00411.jpg

I wish I would have gotten a little more of a mahogany color but what can you do. Its hard to pull that off in my big smoker. In my UDS they always come out nice a dark looking. Thanks for looking at my post.

Last edited:
It sure looks great from here. Congrats on pulling off a huge success

Great looking turkeys!!!

Looks like this was a very sucessfull and educational smoke.

It's allways more fun when ya got company, Suks to drink alone LOL

That's the thing I love about brineing birds-They cook faster. I'm doing 5 or 6 on Wednesday for friends and family.

Man I'm glad I smoked them yesterday and not today. Its a blizzard out there. We have almost a foot of snow since last night and it doesn't look like its stopping anytime soon. The nice thing about this time of year is I now have a walk in cooler. My garage. haha

WOW...that's a lot of turkey, and an awesome looking smoker!

Nice job. Does the oranges flavor the turkey? I have always used Tip's brine, and it is outstanding.

WOW...that's a lot of turkey, and an awesome looking smoker!

Nice job. Does the oranges flavor the turkey? I have always used Tip's brine, and it is outstanding.

I will have to let you know after Thursday. This is my first time using this recipe but the brine definately had a hint of orange when I smelled it.

I would say you did a great job and will make a lot of people happy in a couple more days. I like the looks of your smoke house also. Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving.

Good looking turkeys!  That's about the only thing I like about this time of year 'cause the weather sucks.
biggrin.gif

Wow that's whole lot of turkey's, nice job.
points.gif
 I have one of those roast racks and after about a year I figured out if you flip it over it's a rib rack also.
7c708c97_a_doh.gif

Last edited:
Gotta give ya
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 on those birds! The color looks great to me. I know when I smoke for others they seem to like it, but I'm always lookin for perfection in my addiction!

icon_cool.gif

Now thats some real smoking you had there Rbrans. Now I bet those things will be tasting really yummO too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky