7 - Steak Etouffee ala Cast Iron ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A little late, but boy does that look good, I could eat a plate.  Nice Job  buddy   
points1.png

Gary

Thank you sir. I have some left of a 10lb. box of pork liver in the freezer I bought just for boudin. I can't wait to thaw some out and see if it works on Liver gravy like I think it will...... Gwad I HATE liver too! Would that be irony or an oxymoron?
I believe that would be irony (or close enough). So what's the green stuff at four o'clock on the plate? Even though I can't tell what it is, it looks good[emoji]9786[/emoji]

Another delicious looking meal. I am considering a trip to Louisiana just to eat dinner at your house haha.
If I cook it, you know its easy. I have seen what you can do. No hill for a stepper!
I know what you mean. Sitting there peeling leftover crawfish gets old pretty fast. If you are ever over west of Lafayette on I10, there a place right off the interstate in Rayne called the Frog City Cafe. Really good food and they make a fantastic frog leg ettoufee. That's where the wife wants to go every year on her birthday, great little place.
When people say Acadiana to me, that's were I think of. South of I-10, from the Achafalaya to lake Charles.

Good food, love to party, good people. and then theres the transients! LOL

Oh My Foam! looks awesome, if you keep going on with these recipes your points will exceed your posts in no time!

Keep up the good work my friend.

Looks-Great.gif

Ya know its kinda like playing cards, money is just away to keep score, you don't mind losing to enjoy everyone's company. Like bars, just as many would attend if they served Ice Tea or Lemonade.

I could be all over that,now I want some bread pudding after reading this.Thanks for sharing

Richie

points.gif
Richie, that's the easiest thing to make, and Those onions are the whole meal, smothered green onions, butter, and anything has to be good! hardest part is leaving it alone. Its a perfect CI campfire meal.

I suppose the "bringer of herbs" gets a place at the table... I know I don't live close enough..... RATS !!! looks MY-T FINE to me.... I gotta move to LA...
Thanks Dave. I never really thought of that before. In the long ago days someone must have been responsible to maintain herbs. Bay and file grow wild here, but thyme, sage, rosemary, etc..... I bet gifting a person herb starters would have been a great gift. Ya know, I know people like that still are out there.

That will keep you warm on a cold day. 
Looks-Great.gif

Larry
My Pop keeps saying we moved as far south as we could.....LOL Is it cold enough outside yet to make chili?

Thank you

Looks delish Kevin.....love me some Ettoufee, with shrimp being the way to go up here. Here ya on the beef prices.....seems like nothing is below 5-6 bucks a pound anymore.....Regards, Willie
I am so glad to see you back around here. Thought maybe some ol'rich widdar lady had trapped yas.... LOL., I don't understand it. Gas is cheaper again. Cows eat grass and weeds renewable resources. they convert it to fertilizer for free, and grow to make sustenance & clothing for mankind where is all this overhead we need to pay for?

Etouffee works with anything as long as you have fresh green onions.

Looks delicious.  This is the way my mom used to cook liver and it is delicious enough that I grew up thinking I loved liver and onions with mashed taters.  Found out later in life that what most call liver and onions isn't fit for anything but re-soling a pair of boots and has no gravy!

Thanks for the memories of a beautiful woman.
I actually saw in the grocery "Fresh Pork Liver" they had sliced it and frozen it. When thawed out, it was mush! Ewwwww............

I am glad it brought a memory and a smile .

Thank you Foam! Another new one to try! Looks perfect for cold and rainy winter nights!:nana2:

Nice cook Kevin! I like to use the 7 bone roasts like a chuck roast (here they are half the price of chuck). I cold smoke them then into the cream can for the final cook.

points.gif
Thank you Case. Its just the kind of cooking folks here do when its nothing special. They do although celibrate ever chance they get.... If someone has never had a seven bone steak or roast I'd be hard pressed to explain it, its the next cut in quality below a round steak, and you must know what to do to make it edible. Pressure cooking comes to mind but what little flavor it has is lost to broth. Pop always called 'em a gravy steak cause thats the only way you'd get any flavor...LOL
That looks great, and I have the same dinner plate set as you do!
Thank ya Steve. I am missing a few pieces to re-complete my set, I'll send you a list maybe you'd have extras?

Foam,, Looks great but never heard of  etouffee??,,,guess I live too far back in the woods,,,I like the 7 bone in roasts also,,,, I'd try some,,,

DS
Thank you my friend, its one of those cajun foods like sauce piquante, jambalaya, gumbo, etc.... I bet if it were translateable, it would say, cooked with smothered green onions.

LOL..... used to be I really lived back in the woods, then I lived way out back in the swamps then back to the wide open prairies and sand dunes of West Texas/N.M. now back home on the river. It doesn't matter where you live the regional specialities is what I always want to try. I love chicken fried steak or steak fingers. Try the etouffee I am guessing you'll like it.

Those fresh green onions smothered down in the butter after hours have the most marvelous taste that is NOT anything like what you'd expect. You should try it sometime,  We make it with 7 steak or crawfish so I am guessing it would match whatever you have to bring to the party.

A little late, but boy does that look good, I could eat a plate.  Nice Job  buddy   
points1.png

Gary
Thank you Gary. And to think I almost didn't post it. Didn't see anything special or smoked about it. Its just good ol'normal food.
I believe that would be irony (or close enough). So what's the green stuff at four o'clock on the plate? Even though I can't tell what it is, it looks good[emoji]9786[/emoji]
That my friend would be the etouffee, on the rice. Hit that with a little tabasco..... Thats good stuff. Not a whole lot of juice like gumbo, more a gravy or sauce.

Awesome Friend.

Never seen it before but want to do it!

b

points.gif
Congrats on that new grand baby! Its too simple, the juices from those onion tops smothered down for hours in butter. I figure all those good low cal onion tops offset that fatty butter. I mean, if ya just gotta justify it.
Thank you Foam! Another new one to try! Looks perfect for cold and rainy winter nights!
nana2.gif
Its really simple and easy. The juices are amazing with a few drops of tabasco or your favorite hot sauce to top it off.

I gotta be honest.  It looks like "slop", but there is something quite intriguing about it. I definitely will be trying this very soon. Thank you for posting.

Hey Foam,  The ironic part is all the stuff that is so popular these days and cost so much started out of necessity. The cheap and throw-away parts that no one wanted.   And those to me, are the best things you can eat.

Again nice job

Gary

I gotta be honest.  It looks like "slop", but there is something quite intriguing about it. I definitely will be trying this very soon. Thank you for posting.
If looks was how we chose all out meals, must have been a blind man who decided to eat and oyster. All those fresh green onions are prettier to me than all the flowers in the valley. Most near everything a coonazz cooks has green onions or would benefit from having them in it.

In the last couple a years its become easier to stock the grocery shelves with California product of small little onions in little plastic bags than to put local growers products on the shelf. But with the way most folks cook, or don't cook at home anymore, well its a sad sign of the times I am affraid. I can understand the need for those onions in Alberta in December. But whats happened is they greneral standardizing of product thru rail deliver. Since they are buying those green tomatoes for use in December, lets just sell them all they stuff they can grow at home also. Its a sad state of affairs. I am starting to look for the old produce and truck farms as well as the farmers markets. 10 years ago, I knew so many home farmers (gentleman farmers, like so many here), I really never bought produce, while today we all seem to be dwindling. Its a shame, the next generation will miss the imparting of knowledge. Then when the next generation realizes the ere of their ways, they'll need a book for the very basics.

Sorry

<Steps down off the  soapbox>

Hey Foam,  The ironic part is all the stuff that is so popular these days and cost so much started out of necessity. The cheap and throw-away parts that no one wanted.   And those to me, are the best things you can eat.

Again nice job

Gary
Its pretty funny actually, my neighbors Mom says they eat a lot more ribeye steaks these days because its closer to the price of ground meat than Ox Tail.!! ROFLMAO. Can you Imagine, we just did Thanksgiving ( people actually have to buy gibblets, they don't save them from their chicken purchases) and they are 1.60/pound?? OMFG! The "F" is for frickin' and is pronounced like chickin.!!

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
Yep, go price  Chicken wings !!!   Chicken wings cost more than a whole chicken. Brisket used to be cheap, but because of the popularity and all these BBQ shows its right up there with Ribeys

Skirt steak, used to throw away meat,  Price that stuff because of all the Fajitas !!!   Pork Bellies, Higher here than Pork Butt  go figure???

I'm hoping not to many people catch on about butts, loins and chicken liver.

We grow a bunch of veggies ourselves just no comparison to that Grocery store crap. And I'm with Foam there ain't nutin prettier than a bunch of green onions in the garden and flower bed, (That reminds me I need to go pull a few for later.

Gary

@ Gary & foam. It's all about marketing and corporate profit, guys. Shareholders demand a certain return/dividend, even in down times. If you don't sell enough to keep them in the status quo, you have to raise the prices to make up for it. Then you sell even less. Ok raise prices again. You sell less, etc. and on and on (actually this includes everything, not just groceries).
I know a guy who worked for Kroger for a while here in Indy, and he said it made him want to cry seeing how much meat they threw out every day because it was out of date.. Seems to me, if they lowered the prices they would sell more and not have to throw it out, but then I don't understand grocery marketing. My guess is they get to write it off as loss on taxes. So much waste. I look at the meat case full of 2" thick steaks and think "Who buys these?" Not many. Maybe they can grind it up before it's out of date and call it ground beef, but I'd bet a lot gets tossed. There may still be some "supply & demand" action though. Chicken wings are popular right now and there are only 2 to a bird...
OK, there's my rant. Sorry. I feel better, though...[emoji]128529[/emoji]

Nice cook Foam!  I've never had a "7 steak" ...not bragging, just guess my family couldn't afford steak.  

Mike

Nice cook Foam!  I've never had a "7 steak" ...not bragging, just guess my family couldn't afford steak.  

Mike
Thanks Mike.

A seven steak is not an expensive cut of meat, or it didn't used to be. When I was a kid I am sure you could have feed a family of 7 for less than a buck. You know how it is here its more about the rice and gravy anyway.

FH your chow looks fantastic, but what I signed on to do was thank you for the trick to preserving the green onions.  Never had heard of that one before.  Do you know if it works with other vegetables?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky