4th of July Smoke from Texas w/q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nascar_in_tx

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Hey All,

It's that time again, throwing down to two racks of spare ribs, an eight pound pork butt and a fattie (my version at least). Attached are pics. The wife doesn't care for Jeff's rub or any other rub I've come up with, so I'm doing eight ribs for her with John Henry's commercial rub, half Hot the other half Pecan. The rest I'm doing with Jeff's rub kicked up with some extra cayenne pepper. Using Zatarains Creole Mustard, I know the mustard flavor cooks out, but curious to see about the spices. I plan to do the 3-2-1ish method.

There's an 8lb. butt, my half with Jeff's rub and Creole mustard, the wife's half is an experiment of course black pepper, kosher salt and garlic powder. First time doing a butt, so should be interesting. Based on what I've read here, I'm thinking about 12 hours on the smoker. Looking forward to some pulled pork sandwiches and lots o left overs!!!

Finally I put together a fatty with some hot sausage, fresh chopped rosemary and oregano, sliced mushroom, cheddar cheese and on my half fresh Serrano peppers. Not sure of the cook time/temp for that, will do some more reading on here.

Will be misting it with Captain Morgan's and Apple juice as needed. Made a batch of SoFlaQuer finishing sauce, not a real fan of Vinegar, but I'll try anything once. Also have Jeff's bbq sauce on hand.

It all goes onto a New Braunfels Hondo smoker starting around 5 a.m. I plan to be up around 4 to start the fire, I'm thinking it's going to be a long day. Guess I need to record Daytona on the DVR cause I doubt I'll see the end!!!

I'll keep the q-view going, looking forward to seeing what everyone else has going!!!

Happy Independence Day Y'all!!!
1d06aac9_vbattach21786.jpg

752b8cb7_vbattach21787.jpg

417bdc45_vbattach21788.jpg

95a7bc93_vbattach21789.jpg

3378e5dd_vbattach21790.jpg

546bad8b_vbattach21791.jpg

e5ae6fc0_vbattach21792.jpg

e0d9d27a_vbattach21793.jpg

That sounds great and I love Jeff's sauce. I hope you get to take a nap and see Tony Stewart win it! Woohoo - Go 14!
biggrin.gif

This is alittle differant half this and half that but if it works for yaull more power to you two. At least there is alot of compromising going on. Tha fattie you will want to cook for about 2-3 hours with everything else. Take it to about 165-170 and then it enjoy so sounds like you have your hands full. Good luck and enjoy.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Here's the butt going on, the rest will join the party a bit later...
e6cca9de_vbattach21822.jpg

9b1cd591_vbattach21823.jpg

I was up early right along with you this AM in East Texas. My butt hit the smoker at almost exactly 0600. I have 2 slabs of ribs and a big chicken to go on later.

I didn't get home from the Rangers game until 0130 and was up at 0500. Looooong day...

The butt has been chill'n out for about 3 hours now... I woke up way too early...lol

Fire is holding fairly steady around 220ish, started with lump charcoal, planning to use pecan for the rest of the day...
f92f94f1_vbattach21825.jpg

202b1082_vbattach21826.jpg

If it get's much hotter down here I won't need a fire!!! Supposed to hit 103 in Houston today, and from the feel of it right now, I believe it!!!
2495d457_vbattach21827.jpg

Brisket is killer Q... But sometimes we gotta try something a bit different!!!

Happy 4th to all!!!

Breesket? I don' smoke no steenkin' breesket.

Q is pork, IMO. :D

It was 108 when we were in Dallas yesterday. Daaaaamn, it was hot. High here is 102 today. Gonna be watching the smoker from the pool.

Good luck to all on their cooking today!

Looking forward to your reveiw of the pork rubbed with pepper kosher salt and Garlic powder. Take Care....

Everything looks very good, and I like the serranos in the fatty! Great compromise on the butt too....looking forward to hearing how it came / tasted out. Stay cool, bud.

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The fatty came off and was sliced up for sandwiches, too bad it's almost all gone... But was tasty!!! Serrano peppers on the right side, nice amount of heat there.

Time to foil the butt and put the ribs on. Smells pretty good so far, temps holding pretty steady around 225 - 230.

The butt got up to 160 in about 5 hours, I covered with foil at that point. It stalled out for nearly 4 hours at 165, finally starting to move again, up to 169 in the past 40 minutes. I was hoping it would be done by 6pm but thinking it's going to want a bit more time. Smoker hanging steady in the 225 range except for a short window when the wood caught fire. Closed the dampers and got the flames to shut down and back down in the 225ish range again.

The fattie sandwiches were good, but I'm getting hungry again!!!

Ribs R Done and mighty tasty, the pecan gave them a real nice flavor. Wife likes her ribs and even professes to like mine with Jeff's rub on it. Maybe it's the mesquite or oak that I've used in the past that she did not care for.

She wanted to point out her rack to y'all... Hence one of the pictures... Don't go there... elol

Now if I can just get my butt off the smoker I'd be a real happy camper. That things been on there for 13 hours now and holding around 175...

Yeah, there's been a few beers tipped this afternoon....
f7938032_vbattach21833.jpg

87d352c5_vbattach21834.jpg

f9df6c9b_vbattach21835.jpg

Sorry, the picture of the wifes rack was too large to upload, had to down size it a bit....
cd40b15a_vbattach21836.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky