3-2-1 method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How great that so many of you "pros" are taking time to educate the newbees like myself.  It is greatly appreciated and I'm taking notes.  As many of you said, I'll just begin the fun process of trying different temps, foil/no foil, and more.  Again, it's great to hear from all of you!

Cheers, Bogeybilly

For most any meat the general rule is 'it's done when it's done!"  Interestingly the 3-2-1 method is another general rule, but you use the bend method to really make sure it's done since you can't get a temp probe in there and find out the internal temp of the meat.

For Brisket it is definitely done when it's done, meaning it reaches it's finishing temp (I prefer 203f or so.)  I cook it on the rack at around 225f until internal temp is around 150f - 155f (when it hits the 'stall') and then put it in a foil pan and cover with foil until it gets to 203f.  Powers through the stall and results in some fine, tender product.

I usually figure about an hour to an hour and a half per pound, depending on the size of your brisket. I cook at 225.

I mentioned in another thread that I usually wrap mine in butcher paper after about 6 hours. I have really been pleased with the results since I have been doing it this way.

Is there a 3-2-1 method or something similar for beef brisket?

I will sometimes foil brisket at around 165*, cook in foil till probe tender and then air the foil at that point so to stop it cooking.

Then re-wrap with the same foil and let it rest for an hour or so. After that, I'll hot grill it to firm the bark back up.

I think this has been post for me ro follow! I feel like I'm on sensory overload...can't wait for the morning to give my second shot at some ribs.

Thanks for all the tips!!

You got it, try 225 for your temp and see how they turn out

I have to show my ignorance here as another noob, but I was wondering if I should fill the water pan in the smoker for the "3' or any other part of the process?
I never fill the water pan. Some do, some fill it with sand to buffer the heat. If you do fill the pan, it will give you more consistent heat and make it harder for the smoker to overheat things inside you cooker if the heat gets away from you. But it's simple not necessary IMO...Smoke on!.........RTBBQ......
439.gif

Matter of preference,  I always fill my water pan. I keeps a little moisture inside the cook chamber. I have in the past done it both ways, not sure if there is a in your face noticeable difference, but I fell better if I fill mine. Again your preference.

Best advice, try it both ways and decide for yourself !!

This has been a good read for me,, and the one thing I'm taking away,, is everyone likes there ribs differently,,,

I have used all the methods mentioned but I still struggle with what I think are tough ,,but I think that's the "tug" that the comp guys are looking for,,,

I need to start cooking for the fall off the bone ribs and I think that's going to take me longer in my cooker,,, and I have to quit looking to much at my ribs and just let them cook..."I sweat ribs to much"

Thanks for all the info...

PJ

I did 2-2-1 and had some that were just a little tough did it again and you could pull the bones out way too tender IMO. I'm going to try 2-1.5 .5 next time as a note the temps were 250-275 both cooks. I really think it should be 2-?-?

I did 2-2-1 and had some that were just a little tough did it again and you could pull the bones out way too tender IMO. I'm going to try 2-1.5 .5 next time as a note the temps were 250-275 both cooks. I really think it should be 2-?-?
Try to stay in the 225 to 250º if you can.
Sand allows for Higher and more consistent temps than water, especially during colder months.

I just did a brisket (6 lbs) and wasn't very pleased with the results.  Sort of tough and a little dry.

I could never get the internal temp of the meat past 165 and the finished temp was supposed to be about 190.

It was in the smoker for about 8 or 9 hours at about 225 degrees.  Temp held great.

I had a pan of water under the grill/brisket and replenished the water at one point in the smoking process.

Using a Green Egg (large) and wood chips.

Not sure what else to add except it was sort of disappointing to get the results I did.

Maybe I am too picky, but I expected more from the hours-long process.

I was reluctant to keep the brisket on the grill any longer than I did for fear of really getting it dried out.

It looked good.  Just fell short of expectations.

Any ideas?  Some say the brisket is a real challenge to do right, so I'm looking for other cuts (meat, pork, etc) to try.

Cheers, Bogeybilly

I just did a brisket (6 lbs) and wasn't very pleased with the results.  Sort of tough and a little dry.

I could never get the internal temp of the meat past 165 and the finished temp was supposed to be about 190.

It was in the smoker for about 8 or 9 hours at about 225 degrees.  Temp held great.

I had a pan of water under the grill/brisket and replenished the water at one point in the smoking process.

Using a Green Egg (large) and wood chips.

Not sure what else to add except it was sort of disappointing to get the results I did.

Maybe I am too picky, but I expected more from the hours-long process.

I was reluctant to keep the brisket on the grill any longer than I did for fear of really getting it dried out.

It looked good.  Just fell short of expectations.

Any ideas?  Some say the brisket is a real challenge to do right, so I'm looking for other cuts (meat, pork, etc) to try.

Cheers, Bogeybilly

i take it you did a small flat?...??....tough and dry is exactly what they CAN be...depending on how trimmed it was, or your overall experience with brisket... 8-9 hrs at 225*, how sure are you about that temp? what were you using to verify that? i personally cant see a 6lb flat going that long, but they have a mind of their own..theyre done when theyre done... brisket IS a challenge, not everyone tackles a brisket and walks away successful the first few times..it takes patience, and lots of it and definitely practice. if you need something to practice on get some pork butts...alot cheaper than brisket and alot more forgiving. good luck and dont get discouraged.

Don't have a Green Egg, I use a RF.  I cook at 225, using a whole brisket. I always look for one with good marbling and a good fat cap so I can trim it down to what I like. I usually smoke mine for about 6 hours, pull it off, wrap it in butcher paper and put it back on to finish. The first 6 hours I spritz it several times, I use 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 apple cider vinegar. I really watch my temp and keep a consistent 225. I figure about and hour and a half per pound. Once it is finished internal temp 205 - 210  I put in a Plastic tub I have or a cooler wrapped in towels for an hour or two. I always figure a long cook and allow for things that can go wrong. Mine always turns out with a good bark, nice smoke ring and very moist. I have been BBQing for over 35 years so lots of practice. When I first started I had quit a few cooks that didn't turn out the way I was expecting. But that was before Smoking Meat Forum and all the wonderful information that is available now. Keep trying you will find what works for you.

Gary

Hi Gary
Wow! You've been on the BBQ train for more years than I've had weeks! Crazy
Anyway, thanks so much for your good advice and ideas. I'm hooked and will keep on keep in' on
Cheers, Bogeybilly

Bogeybilly   good morning,  Thanks for the complement. It is still fun for me too. Like I said I try to do better every cook.  I have always been pretty critical of my BBQ and BBQ I eat out. For a long time I have rated BBQ on a scale of 1-10  10 being the best. I always ask my wife, kids and grand kids how they rated my Q so I will know what to do different(if anything) the next time. I make my own rubs and sauces. Different rubs for ribs, pork shoulder, chicken, etc. Same with sauce.  Keep experimenting  and having fun.  Also try different types of charcoal and wood, I like pecan, hickory, oak, cherry and peach, that's what we have around here. Different woods impart different flavors, also to much smoke can cause cause a bitter or off taste.

Just keep asking questions.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky