250gal Reverse Flow Trailer Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Check out my thread on installing door flanges, get them on before you try to do any straightening.  means you got to pull the hinges back off though, but no big deal.  These doors bow all of the time,  its easy to fix, but get those flanges on first and lets see how they look.

Yep they instructions Rib gave will get you to where ya need to be,  You will have to bend a little over where you want it because it will spring back some.

Follow RW's lead about the seals....... 

Maple Sticks started me thinking.... I know.... that could be dangerous but here is what developed....    Dave

...........click on drawing to enlarge.............

Last edited:
Ok, so here's a little more progress. I removed the doors after purchasing some 3/16" flat stock soi can install the flanges.

Turns out after installing the flanges I had miscalculated the location of the 1/2" round tubing for the Hinges. Here is a few shots of the left door after the flanges and the hinges are installed.

I welded on a piece of 1" angle for a temporary handle. Haven't quite decided on the handle design yet. Any suggestions?

I am also wondering if I should weld the Hinge to the flange where they overlap, I believe it's plenty strong but I'm just wondering what others do for this.

Last edited:
Check out my thread on installing door flanges, get them on before you try to do any straightening.  means you got to pull the hinges back off though, but no big deal.  These doors bow all of the time,  its easy to fix, but get those flanges on first and lets see how they look.
So the flanges are on and it did reduce some of the bow in the door, the highest spot is roughly 3/16"

I'm thinking I may just add a flange on the inside of the door and use some high temp gasket sealer to create as close to an air tight seal as possible. Any thoughts??

Last edited:
Both doors have the flange on, and the first set of hinges have been cut off, re-made and re-located as they were originally to close to the opening and didn't allow for the flanges to be mounted.
Here's a pic of how I mounted the door and held it in place. After holding it down I got inside and lined everything back up so the gaps were consistent on all sides of the door. Then I welded on the new hinges and should be making progress from here on out. I don't have any pics with both doors and all hinges weldedo due to the lack of lighting by the time I finished. Should be able to upload a couple of pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
If you can seal the gap with high temp silicone, I would not worry about trying to straighten it. Not sure about flanges on the inside. I know it will work, but I don't really like them. I would try to straighten it before I put the inside flanges. Just my opinion, others will disagree I'm sure.

...others will disagree I'm sure.
Hello My name is 'Other' and I disagree!

Sorry-had to.
icon_lol.gif

Ok, so here's a little more progress. I removed the doors after purchasing some 3/16" flat stock soi can install the flanges.

Turns out after installing the flanges I had miscalculated the location of the 1/2" round tubing for the Hinges. Here is a few shots of the left door after the flanges and the hinges are installed.

I welded on a piece of 1" angle for a temporary handle. Haven't quite decided on the handle design yet. Any suggestions?

I am also wondering if I should weld the Hinge to the flange where they overlap, I believe it's plenty strong but I'm just wondering what others do for this.
on the handles i have used 3/4 pipe se out from the door about 3" i also ran the pipe about a foot past the end of the doors. that way when you open a door you can de beside it and not get a face full of smoke. i first did that aproach on a grill to keep from getting burnt if it flared up. then i desided it would aslo work great for smoke.

happy smoken.

david

I knew you would need to move the hinges, just didnt want to say. Ive seen it written so many times on these threads to weld the hinges on before cutting the door completely out.  I dont know why they keep telling people to do that.

Looks good though, and as small of a gap you have now, Id just rely on the gasket maker to seal it up. Im sure you know about Rutland stove black gasket maker.

Another choice, if you just have to have it perfect fit. Is to incorperate two braces at the end and on the outside of each door. You trace the radius of the tank right next to each end of the door and cut your brace to exactly match that. When you stiich weld it to your door, it will hold the door at that exact radius. No matter how hot it gets. Use the braces to hold your door handles

I cant believe I dont have a better pic of this, but check out this mini. You can see the braces welded right inside  the door flanges. Now these look realy big due to this being such a small smoker. But you can get the ideal. I usually use 1/2" round stock with a stainless steel spring handle for the door handles ran through a half inch hole drilled into each brace.

One tip. If you decide to use my ideal on the braces, after you rough cut them out, stack them up and tack weld them together. This way you can drill all the holes at the exact same spot on each and use your grinder to get them all the exact same shape.

900x900px-LL-85720f8e_mini.png

Looks good so far.  I remember stressing about pretty much aspect of my build.  And hind site my opining would be to not stress too much.  Cool thing about working w/ metal is that you can always grind it off and do it again if you are not happy w/ the result.  You are going to be so happy with the product (BBQ) that the RF will produce you will forget all about the little things you are dealing with now.  Get ready to become really close to that smoker 'cause I can promise, you will be spending a lot of time with it, I know I have with mine.

Good job so far.  Happy smoking! 

Aaron.

Ok, so I have completed the cooker doors and all four hinges.

I still have he issue with the gap in the doors, and just finished making my template for the 2 gussets I wil place on both doors.
As you may be able to see, I ran a little slow in that last hinge and blew threw the round tube. Doesnt look as though it will hurt anything in the long run.

Those doors weigh a ton, I think my next addition is going to be the gussets first then the counter-weights.
Planning a trip to the local scrap yard to get the pipe I will need for the chimney, and the counter weights.
I will update again when I return.

Got some more work done on the smoker today. I finished putting the gussets on and cut up all the metal for the firebox. Didnt get any new pics yet, battery on the phone died and then dark caught up with me before it charged back up. I will add some new pics tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky