2017 Fattie Contest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Last edited:
I don't think a $5.00 or $10.00 or even $20.00 fee for actually entering a fatty would chase anyone away...and a donation can is an EXCELLENT idea.
I know what get togethers like this cost, I've done a couple, and it isn't cheap.

Walt.

Last edited:
I don't think a $5.00 or $10.00 or even $20.00 fee for actually entering a fatty would chase anyone away...and a donation can is an EXCELLENT idea.
I know what get togethers like this cost, I've done a couple, and it isn't cheap.

Walt.
For all the work and prep they do.. The electric and silverware.. Probably have to rent tables.. paper plates..couple porta potties would be nice. This could get bigger

Last edited:
hillbillyrkstr hillbillyrkstr
jokensmoken jokensmoken

Here's the recipe [emoji]127867[/emoji]

DILL PICKLE PASTA SALAD

Yields a half size steam pan

You should get enough pickle juice from the one jar but wouldn't hurt to have a little extra on hand.

INGREDIENTS:
* 1lb dry med. shell pasta
* 16oz jar Vlasic Snack'mms sliced
* 8oz block cheddar cheese diced
* 1 tablespoons dried dill or 4 TBS fresh dill
* 1 cup pickle juice

DRESSING
* 1 & 1/3 cup mayonnaise
* 2/3 cup sour cream
* 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
* 8 tablespoons pickle juice
* salt & pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
* Boil pasta al dente according to package directions. Run under cold water to stop cooking.
* Toss cold pasta with about 1 cup of pickle juice and set aside for about 5 minutes. Drain & discard pickle juice.
* Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
* Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

I know who chucky is. Lol.

I drank plenty of beer starting Thursday after work all the way through Sunday morning. My buddy matt brewed a few craft beers and brought the kegs. One was a torpedo clone I asked him to make:

We named it Wonder Dog IPA and that's Hooper the Wonder Dog in the middle of that Sierra Nevada pic jumping off a dock up north.

Matt also suggested a smoked hop wheat beer for the smoker party which I thought was a perfect choice:

Wonder Dog Ranch Smoked American Wheat.

Thanks to matt for donating his time and money with both beers.

Matt actually won a brewery contest a few years back and the brewery sold his beer on tap for a year because of it. Guy has talent. After I told him I wanted a torpedo double IPA clone and he said he could do it he asked what else I wanted and I told him "I'm not a brewmaster but as a pit master I don't like people telling me what to do, so do what you think is best".

Well matt figured a smoked hop beer was best and he was right. Fit the smoker contest perfect and you could taste the smoke in every sip. I have never taste anything like it.

We do always rent a portajohn. It's clean as can be as it's only used two days.

As far as charging for entry I don't want to scare anyone away. We love this thing growing from 6 entrees five years ago to 33 this year!

With that said it's also gone from a few hundred bucks a year to put on to somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-800 this year. I haven't counted all the costs and honestly I don't want to. Lol. It was worth it! I was given a few donations this year that helped. Maybe we can get a few more next year to help offset the costs. I'm gonna guess if we grow next year the way we have been we're gonna have higher costs.

With that said people bringing meat to smoke, or sides to pass, or people helping me move things along when I ask for help also help so much. I couldn't have done it without all the sides added by dozens of people. Or the brisket and Mac n cheese from dinger. Or walts chuck ends. Or Kurt's elk & venison sliders. Or stans beans. Or how about not just FPPs whole hog donation, but greg (FPP owner) bringing his smoker and also being the pit master!

Thank you everyone for all your help, offerings, and donations. I'm sure we can make this work again next year or we wouldn't have made the date already. Any and all help is appreciated.

Hell robbq (first fattie champ) coming out a few weeks after knee surgery and crashing Friday night and helping make 150 abts with the rest of us while he was in pain was incredible!

Just a great group of people we've had helping for 5 years! And we added more this year who I know will continue to add to this group year after year.

As far as the beer comment most of the beers we're covered in koozies I had made this year:

I tried to make sure everyone who needed one got one or two. I still have some left over of anyone wants one.

I saw more support this year than ever so I know we're in good shape. We can make this event bigger with out a doubt. Wonder Dog Ranch is 12 acres so there is room to grow. I just don't want it to get too big to fast where I don't know the people who show up. It's stlll my home so adding 20-25 a year works. I just don't want 100 new people all at once who I just don't know. With all your help (you know who I'm talking about) we can grow this contest reasonably and all have a great time doing it! Hope to see everyone again next year! I'm sure stan will have a thread for it up soon!

Choc I'll see you at the farm soon bro. Don't be a stranger.

Angler thanks for the recipe! One of my favorite new additions to this years party!

Also thanks for coming out from Portland! That's a drive! My wife and I loved meeting your family! I hope you'll come back out for the contest next June!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky