2013 SOUTH FLORIDA GATHERING (THIRD ANNUAL GATHERING) NOV. 8-10TH COME JOIN IN..............

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Doug, I know it's still a little early but do you have a head count for Friday? I am planning on smoking some butts for everybody for lunch/dinner Friday (whenever it gets done) and am trying to figure out how many to bring for that.
I'm assuming we pretty much eat comp food on Sat? I'm sure there will be plenty of sausage too. Still not sure about the comp myself, unsure of using a smoker I'm not familiar with but after these ribs I did this weekend I'm thinking the smoker won't matter, the rub will blow everyone out the water!!!! So I might just have to get in on that so a SFL newbie can walk away with a win!!! About how much does each smoke for the comp?
Looks like the definites for Friday are at a minimum: 6 (including yourself) members and approx 2-4 more guests of those 6 (wives)...so atleast 8-10 friday night. Last year i believe everyone arrived by Friday night. 

Yes Saturday is mainly compeitition food and normally people make other snacks throughout the day...we are generally all stuffed saturday night! haha. to answer your questions about how much to make for the competitions. Usually we have between 4-6 judges(normally camp staff and lucky passers by), so at a minimum enough to give them a bite to eat. Whatever is left goes on the table for dinner for everyone else. I usually make 2-3 racks of ribs to feed judges and other people. We'll likely be filling up zip locks of all the leftovers :)

That rub might be good but we'll see if it takes home the Gold ;)

Doug, work permitting I hope to be there Thursday evening. I can't be 100% sure until I see how that week's work progresses. I want in on the sausage making / smokehouse building fun. Can bring a pork butt or two or more if needed?(I lost count what people are already bringing but want to be sure there's plenty to take home). Also have equipment but looks like that's well covered already.

Wife and kids to follow Friday evening or Saturday AM.  May also have a hand full of guests but they most likely will come out at the same time as my family. Will update when I get firm commitments as to who and how many. Looking like a party!

Keith, Might not need it but I will bring an extra burner just in case. It's a low pressure burner I got for my smokehouse, but it won't be installed yet. With a new smokehouse, you might need to try 2 or 3 different ones to get it dialed in.

Keith, Might not need it but I will bring an extra burner just in case. It's a low pressure burner I got for my smokehouse, but it won't be installed yet. With a new smokehouse, you might need to try 2 or 3 different ones to get it dialed in.

RON... your right on finding the right burner.. so, yea, If you could bring the spare burner... I heard you mention once you were gonna bring a smoke house... do you really have enough room for that ? If you rather not bring it, I think we'll be ok... but that's up to you...

Doug, we could do some cheese at night.. I believe it will be cool enough... only thing is having to let it rest for a couple of weeks (minimum).. It wouldn't be something to eat over the weekend....

I only have one AMZNPS and a bag of pit master blend pellets.. will be bringing those... so another one or two would be good

Joe, Dave do you guys have some casings.... as I said before... I know they aren't cheap so I'll be glad to pitch in of some of that...

Dave.. I think 2 butts for Friday will be plenty... I'm sure somebody will be cooking something else as well besides the sausage...

HEY DON... they finally let you outta jail eh.... :biggrin: How ya been bub...

SPICES... I have about 10 or 12 different packs (5 lb batches) so i'll bring all those and chose whatever...

Has anybody put any thought to the "Special Dish" category (sides) ? throw out what you or a loved one is planning on doing so we don't get a bunch of the same dishes...

As Doug said.. starting to get excited...

Just wondering about how many butts because I'm going to do them pernil style and I have to start marinating them 5 days in advance. The ones I have are about 8#. Doug said about 10 people so 2 will be plenty but if it looks like more as it gets close I can always do another.

I have a bunch of spice mixes I'm going to bring and anything we don't use will become giveaways, I have to get away from the salt so premixes are out for me.

I can bring an AMNPS and Tube if needed but I just run 1 AMNPS in my house and it is plenty. I have pellets too, what flavor do you want??? Is someone bringing a torch?

I have a bunch of 19mm smoke collagen I am bringing. I have hog too I can bring but I think Joe said he was bringing a hank which will be way more than enough.

yea dave i think 2 is probably more then enough...usually other people are making things all the time so there is never a lack of food :)

RON... your right on finding the right burner.. so, yea, If you could bring the spare burner... I heard you mention once you were gonna bring a smoke house... do you really have enough room for that ? If you rather not bring it, I think we'll be ok... but that's up to you...

Doug, we could do some cheese at night.. I believe it will be cool enough... only thing is having to let it rest for a couple of weeks (minimum).. It wouldn't be something to eat over the weekend....

I only have one AMZNPS and a bag of pit master blend pellets.. will be bringing those... so another one or two would be good

Joe, Dave do you guys have some casings.... as I said before... I know they aren't cheap so I'll be glad to pitch in of some of that...

Dave.. I think 2 butts for Friday will be plenty... I'm sure somebody will be cooking something else as well besides the sausage...

HEY DON... they finally let you outta jail eh....
biggrin.gif
How ya been bub...

SPICES... I have about 10 or 12 different packs (5 lb batches) so i'll bring all those and chose whatever...

Has anybody put any thought to the "Special Dish" category (sides) ? throw out what you or a loved one is planning on doing so we don't get a bunch of the same dishes...

As Doug said.. starting to get excited...
Keith, no I'm not bringing the smokehouse as it won't be finished yet.

I will also bring an AMNPS and pellets.

I also will be more than happy to contribute to a fund to pay for all the needed items.

My Special dish item will be dessert.

i'll have my propane burner as well if we need another along with 2 propane tanks. 

im trying to get contact info for Sausage Maker to see if they might want to donate some supplies the sausage making! stay tuned for that :)

Damn Keith, why you wanna start rumors? Now everyone gonna be looking at me all sideways like some sort of ex-con. No one will be able to sleep at night. Buwaahhaahahaha.
Seriously though, all is well. You know I'm not a high volume poster here.....but I do stop in regularly to read and stay up to date.
Lookin forward to seeing everyone again as well as meeting some new folks.

just wanted to get some details more concrete....

Keith - is bill coming the same day as you? or another day?

Dan - Do you know what day your coming?

Mike - you still with us buddy?

Jeremy - do you know what day yet?

have i missed anyone competition entries?

Who's Attending
Name# of GuestsSiteArrival DayCompetitionsComments
Doug  (dougmays)  80/81
Thursday
Ribs, Chickentable
Keith (JckDanls07)187ThursdayRibs, Chicken, SS  
Don (OrlandoSmoking)  80/81tentative Thursday  table/chairs/canopy
Bill (SmokedApple)        
Ron (RubbinButts)  79/88/89ThursdayRibs, Chicken, SS2 canopies, 3 tables, chairs
Dave (S2K9k)  86Thursday  Canopy
Joe (boykjo)  82WednesdayRibs and Chicken  
JarJarChef1?    Ribs,Chicken, SS  
Dan (dmclain)        offering to help with expenses 
Mike (Mike65)          

Who's Attending
Doug  (dougmays)  80/81
Thursday
Ribs, Chickentable
Bill (SmokedApple)        
Ron (RubbinButts)  79/88/89ThursdayRibs, Chicken, SS2 canopies, 3 tables, chairs
Mike (Mike65)          

Mike is still not sure what he is doing. His left hand says go while his right hand says:

help.gif

Who's Attending
Doug  (dougmays)  80/81
Thursday
Ribs, Chickentable
Bill (SmokedApple)        
Mike (Mike65)          

I am planning on Saturday visit. Just myself. I will drop in Thursday if I have any donations from Mac's.

Sorry for the delay. Crazy week at work and home, finally some quiet time......

I am planning on driving down Friday. My wife not sure. We have talked Friday or Saturday morning. She has all of her animals that need to be taken care of (goats, tortious, pigs, hedgehog, and cows). No we are not bringing any to eat, that is a very big NO from her!!!! :wife:

I am not sure what else is needed for the gathering. So if you see something missing put it out there and I will be happy to do what I can. At this time I am planning on bringing the following: pop up camper, Chargriller Outlaw, propane burner, single portable butane burner, pots, pans, a couple coolers, some various wood chunks, charcoal and anything else that pops into my twisted head...........

I am going to look around and see if I have some things that I have been given over the years from suppliers to add to the giveaway loot......... Not sure but might have something......

Ok I know this might not be the right place, but this is a smaller condensed group is why I ask. So here we go....... Looking for a home grinder and stuffer..... I want to go with #8 ish grinder with metal gears (prefer SS blades and auger) and a 10# vertical stuffer.........the FIL is just looking for now and cheap.......... Any suggestions that might work for both opinions? We are looking at starting with a couple deer a season, pork and other meat during the rest of the year. I would rather spend a little more and get something that will be a little more than needed for just in case.......but don't want to do too big due to lack of storage space........

Who's Attending
[TH]Name[/TH]​
[TH]# of Guests[/TH]​
[TH]Site[/TH]​
[TH]Arrival Day[/TH]​
[TH]Competitions[/TH]​
[TH]Comments[/TH]​
[TD]Doug  (dougmays)[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]80/81[/TD]​
[TD]
Thursday
[/TD]​
[TD]Ribs, Chicken[/TD]​
[TD]table[/TD]​
[TD]Keith (JckDanls07)[/TD]​
[TD]1[/TD]​
[TD]87[/TD]​
[TD]Thursday[/TD]​
[TD]Ribs, Chicken, SS[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]Don (OrlandoSmoking)[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]80/81[/TD]​
[TD]tentative Thursday[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]table/chairs/canopy[/TD]​
[TD]Bill (SmokedApple)[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]

[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]Ron (RubbinButts)[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]79/88/89[/TD]​
[TD]Thursday[/TD]​
[TD]Ribs, Chicken, SS[/TD]​
[TD]2 canopies, 3 tables, chairs[/TD]​
[TD]Dave (S2K9k)[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]86[/TD]​
[TD]Thursday[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]Canopy[/TD]​
[TD]Joe (boykjo)[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]82[/TD]​
[TD]Wednesday[/TD]​
[TD]Ribs and Chicken[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]JarJarChef[/TD]​
[TD]1?[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]Ribs,Chicken, SS[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]Dan (dmclain)[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD]offering to help with expenses [/TD]​
[TD]Mike (Mike65)[/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] [/TD]​
[TD] 

[/TD]​

To update my line:
Guests 2
Site 78
Arrival Friday
Comps All (why not)
Comments can bring other items if needed or help with some expenses if needed

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. Crazy week at work and home, finally some quiet time......

I am planning on driving down Friday. My wife not sure. We have talked Friday or Saturday morning. She has all of her animals that need to be taken care of (goats, tortious, pigs, hedgehog, and cows). No we are not bringing any to eat, that is a very big NO from her!!!!
wife.gif

I am not sure what else is needed for the gathering. So if you see something missing put it out there and I will be happy to do what I can. At this time I am planning on bringing the following: pop up camper, Chargriller Outlaw, propane burner, single portable butane burner, pots, pans, a couple coolers, some various wood chunks, charcoal and anything else that pops into my twisted head...........

I am going to look around and see if I have some things that I have been given over the years from suppliers to add to the giveaway loot......... Not sure but might have something......

Ok I know this might not be the right place, but this is a smaller condensed group is why I ask. So here we go....... Looking for a home grinder and stuffer..... I want to go with #8 ish grinder with metal gears (prefer SS blades and auger) and a 10# vertical stuffer.........the FIL is just looking for now and cheap.......... Any suggestions that might work for both opinions? We are looking at starting with a couple deer a season, pork and other meat during the rest of the year. I would rather spend a little more and get something that will be a little more than needed for just in case.......but don't want to do too big due to lack of storage space........
Try Gander Mountain. I have their Grinder(metal gears and ss blades and auger) and their 10lb stuffer(all ss). Quality is there.

Hi Guys!
I just saw this Thread. I'm about 2 1/2 hrs south. I'm going to look at the calendar. I dont see the RF I just built making it do to trailer/hitch setup. Darn! It would be great to have the beast really tested/tweeked/abused.. ect. This is all new to me. Sounds like a blast.
Mike

Hi Guys!
I just saw this Thread. I'm about 2 1/2 hrs south. I'm going to look at the calendar. I dont see the RF I just built making it do to trailer/hitch setup. Darn! It would be great to have the beast really tested/tweeked/abused.. ect. This is all new to me. Sounds like a blast.
Hey Mike, come up and join us, it will be a good time for all.

Hi Guys!
Mike
Smoker or not come up and visit!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky