2013 SOUTH FLORIDA GATHERING (THIRD ANNUAL GATHERING) NOV. 8-10TH COME JOIN IN..............

Discussion in 'Events' started by dougmays, Mar 22, 2013.

1. dougmays

dougmays Limited Mod Group Lead

Sounds like we are going to have our hands full with pork also we won't have full kitchen facility to clean equipment do switching from pork to chickenmight be difficult

2. mike65

mike65 Meat Mopper

Keith,

I have watched a lot of vids on it, seem easy.   I'm getting pumped about meeting ya'all in November and making some sausage. 

3. mike65

mike65 Meat Mopper

NP Doug.   I'm looking forward to making sausage at the 2013 SF Gathering and meeting everyone.

4. How long does it take to prepare 40 lbs of meat into sausage? Sounds like a lot.

5. mike65

mike65 Meat Mopper

Shouldn't take to long. Maybe 4 hours?

6. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

It all depends. Snack sticks will rake a lot longer, making different seasoned sausages, clean up, smoking the sausage....... Anywhere from

4hrs to all day

7. mike65

mike65 Meat Mopper

After I posted 4 hours I was thinking that was probably an incorrect time. [​IMG]

8. boykjo

hey Mike............ no worries......... it will take as long as it takes....With others bringing their equipment we should knock it out in no time

mike65 likes this.
  9. dougmays

i aint in a rush ;)

10. What day are you going to prep for sausage? Friday maybe? Thursday?

11. dougmays

what are all of your thoughts on this? usually saturday is pretty full with the competitions going on and relaxing in the mean time....i think friday would be ideal, i know not everyone will be there friday earlier. we could start all teh sausage work around noon and take our time so more people can take part in it..just throwing out ideas here...

12. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I was thinking Fri. morning start so it can rest and then stuff and smoke in afternoon... others opinion

13. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

Remember it's going to smoke for probably at least 8 hours unless we poach it. Might need some cool time after cubing before grinding and like Keith said it will need rest time for the cure to do it's work. Someone had mentioned snack sticks, is that still on the agenda? And how about the jerky? Also we will be using an untested smokehouse, it should work fine but if we do have any problems with it...well you get the idea.

14. dougmays

i can bring some sliced EOR and we can marinate it thursday morning once we get setup...then throw it in the smokehouse with the sausage. i'll have a base marinade made up and we can alter for heat or anything else thursday...this way we dont have to worry about slicing and all that with everything else going on.

15. mike65

mike65 Meat Mopper

We won't be there until Saturday. I'll recheck my work schedule and see if there is school on Friday.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  16. dougmays

Sponsors are starting to donate! Big thanks to Lisa B from Vacuum Sealers mailed out some supplies for us today! She has great sealing bags that are much cheaper then the factory ones!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  17. jckdanls 07

good deal.. thanks Lisa... just think y'all... only 2 months to go.. will be here (and gone) before ya know it...

Y'all make sure ya patronize all these sponsors...

18. boykjo

I am sooooooo ready for a vacation......................Davey Jones locker isn't such a bad place......................AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

19. jckdanls 07

Same here Joe.... don't know if I can wait that long... might have to take a little vacation before then... still have about 3 weeks (besides the the week and a half for the gathering) I have to burn before the end of the year...

20. boykjo

Right now I have 74 hrs of vacation left. I'll be using 40 hrs in November for the gathering. I'll carry over the remainder of 34 hrs to next year. That will give me almost 5 weeks vacation to play with for 2014