2013 SOUTH FLORIDA GATHERING (THIRD ANNUAL GATHERING) NOV. 8-10TH COME JOIN IN..............

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Joe, Thank You for the compliment! Hopefully I can duplicate it!

Mike, pernil is a cuban pork made from the shoulder with skin on and sliced. It is made with Naranja Agria and a lot of garlic. I call mine "pernil inspired" because I use the butt with no skin so it's not really traditional pernil but has basically the same flavor.
Here is a thread of one I did, at the time I couldn't find Naranja Agria so I made a substitute but since then I have found it and stocked up. I think it is better with the Naranja Agria then the substitute.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133148/pernil-in-the-mini-becomes-a-cuban-sandwich

Morning Fellas! I've started reaching out to sponsors this week for raffels, competitions and other give aways! We got some great stuff last  year and hopefully we have the same luck (if not better) this year!

Thx Jar... I'm kinda leaning towards the burner... thinking it would be a little easier to control the temps... no ?

My concern with the burner I have is it kicks out a ton of heat. My smokehouse is easy to get it to 350 without even trying. I think the table top burner I have may be the best choice I have to offer....I'll keep looking at options......

Jar... Joe said he has a turkey fryer burner he could bring.... think I'm gonna throw a piece of plywood in the truck for the bottom... duct tape the smoke house to that... what's a redneck version without duct tape ... eh

Jar... Joe said he has a turkey fryer burner he could bring.... think I'm gonna throw a piece of plywood in the truck for the bottom... duct tape the smoke house to that... what's a redneck version without duct tape ... eh
I also have a old coleman stove that will probably work for heat. I think that would be small enough of a heat source to keep the temps between 130 and 180....

I also have a old coleman stove that will probably work for heat. I think that would be small enough of a heat source to keep the temps between 130 and 180....
I might drive over for a day. Will know more closer to the date.

I would think the Coleman burner would be better. My smokehouse is about the same size you are making and I have issues keeping the flame low enough to keep it lit and keep the temp under 200 with the burner I have. I have even added an adjustable pressure regulator into the line.

I have a coleman burner as well if we need a 3rd haha. i'm getting excited seeing the planning of this smokehouse! just tell me what you need from me:)

ok.. here's some "out of the box" thinking... anybody ever tried heat lamps... maybe put them (2,3,4) on a dimmer switch and get that constant heat... since heat doesn't have to be very high... just thinking outloud

ok.. here's some "out of the box" thinking... anybody ever tried heat lamps... maybe put them (2,3,4) on a dimmer switch and get that constant heat... since heat doesn't have to be very high... just thinking outloud

The heat lamps will work. I only see 2 areas to address. Temp control and power......... Our heat lamps we use at work draw a good amount of amperage and we pop circuits quite easily if we put too many on the same one. But I like the way you are going. I have a lamp we use for our tortoise house during cold weather I can bring if that is the way we are going......

Jar.. is there anyway you can do a test run in your smokehouse with it just out of curiosity to see what it would get up to ?.. thinking maybe if it will get hot enough then put a dimmer switch on the light to turn it down a little.. controlling heat that way.... as far as electric.. every site has 30 amp service...

What about an electric hotplate? If no one has one I can get one from Amazon for about $10. We don't need much heat, if someone can bring a turkey fryer with a large pot we can blanch the sausage to finish. A turkey fryer is also great to have to sterilize dishes and anything that comes in contact with food. Our Scout Troop mandates the kids sterilize everything they cook or eat with in boiling water.

I'll run a test tonight. I only have one light so it might be a little low, but it will give an idea. 30 amps will be enough. I think each bulb takes 5 amp each. I will have to look.

Doug,Hopefully we will be able to come over. With school starting around the corner we wont know until later if we have the $$. Looking foward to it if we can make it happen.
Hey Mike are you going to be joining us for the Gathering in November? 

Mike... please don't feel that you are obligated to bring anything.... that is far from the case... It's only a short ride to Sebring... if you can afford the gas and a small gate fee to the park.... that's all that is needed...

I keep getting pulled into other projects. I have not had a chance to test the heat lamp we have yet. I should be able to tomorrow, the wife has a meeting to go to and won't home till late.........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky