2012 MES 40 vs. Old Model MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Will check mine for cracks tomorrow! Sad thing is I took two gen-1s back before moving to the Gen-2s.... (*^%$#@@

I did a cold smoke a while back and the AMNPS worked fine. Works fine on my other grills as well. I love them both. I pull the loader half way out with a fan blowing on the side but not directly in the loader and try and use the elbow at vent. I always get black liquid running down the side from the elbow. Still turn out some good Q but it is a fight all the way...

Man, Am I glad I listened to Bearcarver and jumped on the Gen1 when Cabela's ran their Christmas Sale the first week of Dec, 2011. I feel bad for all you guys that are having problems...JJ

Is there an EZ fix so the AMNPS 5x8 will work in the MES 40 2nd Gen???

Could it be as simple as rotating the Chip Loader 180°?

I believe the answer to both questions is "YES!"

Here's Why......

The housing for the chip loader on the Old Model MES 40 is quite different than the housing for the chip loader on the New MES 40 2nd Gen

The housing for the chip pan and chip loader on the New MES 40 2nd Gen has a tube built into it, that the chip loader slides into.  There is a slot along the bottom of this tube.  I can only assume the function of this tube and slot, is to force the pellets into the chip pan, and not spill out and possibly catch fire.  If you insert the chip loader into this tube, and do not rotate the chip loader 180°, there is very little intake air.  Rotating it 180° seems to allow plenty of air into the New MES 40 2nd Gen for the AMNPS 5x8 to burn properly.  Pull the chip loader out for more air & push it back in for less

I've been testing my theory nonstop for 5 days with very positive results

I'll post the rest of my findings later

Thanks to Everyone who gave me their input!!!

Todd

Here are a few pics:

Old Model MES 40                                                               New MES 40 2nd Gen

View from outside the Chip Loader                                      View from outside the Chip Loader                     

Notice the open housing w/rails for the Chip Loader?         Notice the enclosed housing w/slot along the bottom?

No Restrictions for intake air                                                 All Intake air must pass thru this slot

Chip Loader on MES 40 2nd Gen                                            Chip Loader on MES 40 2nd Gen inserted and then rotated 180°

This position does not allow for increased intake air                  This position will allow for increased intake air

Notice the small gap at the bottom?

Last edited:
Well any updates looking to get a mes 40 only found one place online for 360.00 kinda of high vs the newer model. So hoping to get this figured out.

Well any updates looking to get a mes 40 only found one place online for 360.00 kinda of high vs the newer model. So hoping to get this figured out.
My personal experience is this:

1) Bought the "new" MES 40 at Sam's Club - it didn't work - took it back for exchange.

2) Tried second "new" MES 40 from Sam's Club - it didn't work - took it back for refund.

3) Bought the "old" MES 40 at Academy Sports - it works.

My personal advice is this:

1) Pay the small difference in INITIAL cost and - if (IF) you have decided that the MES 40 is the way you want to go - find a way to buy the "old" version.

2) IF you decide to ignore suggestion #1, it being your money, not mine, THEN:

2A) Buy the unit from Sam's Club, AND

2B) Be SURE to also buy the Sam's Club Extended Warranty.

Just picked up a MES40 off Amazon that sounds like it is new in opened box. Wondering what is the damentions of the bottom of the unit have a stand for my gosm gasser wondering how it will for on it.

I just received my MES 40, out of the box it doesn't work. The unit turns on, reads the temperature inside the cabinet, but will not heat up.

I was hoping for the burn in on this unit and my AMNPS today and a long smoke tomorrow. Good thing I still have my Brinkman Electric smoker to use tomorrow....

Q-view coming tomorrow.

Geerock, I must have skipped through the directions a bit too quick, I missed that part of the directions...

Thanks for the help, I should have posted this a bit earlier then I would have has time to season it and use it tomorrow, oh well the Brinkman has worked well for a couple years, one more smoke should be good.

Fire it up and burn off the oils

It's gonna smoke and smell nasty, as the oil and some of the foam burn off...Yes Foam!

You'll notice a residue around the seams, as the foam that has expanded burns off.

The foam on my Gen 2 "OOZED" out and burned for the first few smokes

The smell is similar to burned plastic

You can cover it up by burning chips in the chip pan or firing up the AMNPS

Check the temp of each rack before you cook any food

You'll find temp differences on each rack

Check the controller against the actual temp on your racks!!!!

My MES Gen2 Runs "HOT!"

I need to set my MES Gen 2 controller to 205°ish to maintain 225° on the middle racks

Other guys report the opposite

They have to set their controller to 260° to maintain 225° on the middle racks

Every smoker is different, and you need to learn your smoker!!

Todd

Thanks for returning this thread, through all my searches this is the first I've seen it. I've got some cold smoking to do this morning, and maybe this afternoon I can try some of your suggestions for the pellet box. My MES40, new, has a smaller cutout in the chip tube, just an observation. This unit seemed to have much closer temp readings between the MES and Maverick during yesterday's first smoke. My previous model was going wacko with temp variations. My previous unit was purchased around November.

Thanks for returning this thread, through all my searches this is the first I've seen it. I've got some cold smoking to do this morning, and maybe this afternoon I can try some of your suggestions for the pellet box. My MES40, new, has a smaller cutout in the chip tube, just an observation. This unit seemed to have much closer temp readings between the MES and Maverick during yesterday's first smoke. My previous model was going wacko with temp variations. My previous unit was purchased around November.
If you look into the hole where the chip loader sit, you'll notice a tube with a slot along the bottom

If you insert the Chip Loader into this tube, the slot is covered up.  This position DOES NOT allow for intake air to enter your MES Gen2.  If you pull the Chip Loader out about 2" and rotate it 180°, you now allow for intake air to enter your MES Gen2.

The Old Model MES did not have this tube inside the chip pan housing for the chip loader to slid in.

Without fresh air for combustion, your chips turn to "Charcoal" in the chip pan

With fresh air for combustion, your chips can achieve a complete burn

Removing the chip loader completely can cause the MES Gen2 to backdraft thru the hole

Keep the chip loader in, and use it to control the draft for intake air

Todd

I was about to buy the Sams Club MES, till reading this thread.
So I take it, don't buy this model? And go for a 20070311?

I was about to buy the Sams Club MES, till reading this thread.
So I take it, don't buy this model? And go for a 20070311?
I don't think anyone is saying "Don't Buy It"

Just know it's potential for flaws, and be ready if these flaws appear

I'm sure there's guys out there that will attest to performance of the MES Gen2

Remember, the power is in your hands!

If you buy it at SAMS and don't like it, they'll take it back....No Questions Asked!

For $299 it's a pretty darn good buy

Todd

So I am new to the smoking scene but am wondering where you are placing the 5X8 inside the new MES 40 during the smoking process. I am thinking about buying one after all I have read in the posts about them but I don't know what to do with it when I get it. Thanks for the help,
biggrin.gif

Todd,

When you did your initial temperature test were you burning chips when the temperatures were recorded? I did a similar test this past weekend on my 2012 MES 40 using two Maverick probes on opposite sides of all but one shelf. I did not have the bottom shelf in at the time of the test. My temperatures on each shelf were within one degree of each other when I didn't have chips in the tray. When I put chips in the tray, the temperatures on the right side of the smoker increased 11-12 degrees but had little effect on the left side of the smoker.

I then took out the factory water pan and put a baking pan on the very bottom of the smoker like you did and performed the same test. Similar results. Temperatures were almost spot on until I put chips in the tray. The temps on the right side of the smoker were then 9-11 degrees higher than the left.

So I am new to the smoking scene but am wondering where you are placing the 5X8 inside the new MES 40 during the smoking process. I am thinking about buying one after all I have read in the posts about them but I don't know what to do with it when I get it. Thanks for the help,
biggrin.gif
Placement of the AMNPS 5x8 depends on which model MES 40 you own

Old Model MES 40

Place AMNPS 5x8 on the rails to the left of the chip pan housing

Pull the chip pan out about 1 1/2"

Pull the chip loader out about 2"

Exhaust wide open

No water in the water pan

New Gen 2 MES 40

Remove the water pan and place it on the floor of your smoker

Place the AMNPS 5x8 on top the hole for the water pan

Pull the chip loader out 2" and rotate 180°...The dumper is now facing down

Exhaust wide open

TJ

Todd,

When you did your initial temperature test were you burning chips when the temperatures were recorded? I did a similar test this past weekend on my 2012 MES 40 using two Maverick probes on opposite sides of all but one shelf. I did not have the bottom shelf in at the time of the test. My temperatures on each shelf were within one degree of each other when I didn't have chips in the tray. When I put chips in the tray, the temperatures on the right side of the smoker increased 11-12 degrees but had little effect on the left side of the smoker.

I then took out the factory water pan and put a baking pan on the very bottom of the smoker like you did and performed the same test. Similar results. Temperatures were almost spot on until I put chips in the tray. The temps on the right side of the smoker were then 9-11 degrees higher than the left.
I never burn chips in my Gen 2 MES 40, so the temp diff was based on the heating element only

Do you own the New Gen 2 MES or the Old Model MES?

Was the heat shield/drip tray installed?

I have had a number of customers report that their New Gen 2 MES has temp diff on each shelf

What's crazy, is some guys need to set the controller at 265° to maintain 225° on the middle racks, and others set the controller to 205°ish to maintain 225°.  So, my assumption is the quality of the electronics is very inconsistent in the New Gen 2 MES

I'm on my 4th Gen 2 MES and all of them have had the same controller issues

Masterbuilt was gracious enough to send new bodies, but I have to remove all the parts from the defective units and install them on the new unit.  I'm tired of swapping parts!

TJ

Todd,I have the generation 2 MES 40. The heat shield and drip tray were installed when I did the temperature testing. Also, my controller reads about 20 degrees low and I don't trust the integral meat probe. Neither of these things bother me much since I have two Maverick ET-73 thermometers and therefore have four probes to monitor smoker and meat temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky