200 gal reverse flow build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

symonds86

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
earlville ny
First I should introduce myself I'm Derrick from upstate ny and have been looking threw the build threads here for a while built a double barrel smoker last winter and learned a lot using that and decided I wanted to build a reverse flow. A freind of mine owns a small junk yard and I found a old co2 tank in his yard was mounted to somthing at one time not sure what though. It's 200 gas 1/4 inch wall according to the tag. I do some repair work on cars he is selling and yard equipment and instead of asking for money he always takes care of me when I need something in the yard so the tank was free. I also picked up a wood stove a friends brother had that cost me a 30 rack of beer so 25 bucks. The doors have a couple small cracks but it should work fine for a fire box. If I cut the bump up on the top off its the just a little larger then the calculator called for and it's also made of 1/4 inch steel. I now need to find a trailer I have some creative ideas to try on that when I get one. so far i have 25 bucks invested plus diesel to go get them so far so good let me know what ya think good bad or indifferent.

need a lil help the calculator says 17 inch halfmoon cut for the chamber to the tank does that 17 inches wide at the top?

Or use the circle calculator he has in his sig line. There was a post I saw not long ago where he explained how to use it too. You can use it to figure out the proper area you need, and how high up you tank to cut and stuff. 

Symonds, evening....   Can you post the dimensions of the tank on here.....  circumference, length between the welds on the dome ends, and overall length....  those numbers will give me a good idea of the size of the tank...   I know the tag says, 200 gal gas but at times they factor in a dead space volume that is to allow for expansion...   I will then do up a preliminary set of numbers for a RF smoker for you....

Please take a moment and stop into " [color= rgb(146, 144, 139)]/[/color][color= rgb(128, 0, 0)]Roll Call[/color][color= rgb(146, 144, 139)]/[/color]   " and introduce yourself and get a proper welcome from our members.... Also, if you would note your location in your profile, it will help in the future when answering questions about smokin'...   elevation, humidity etc....    

We're glad you stopped in and joined our group...    Enjoy the long smokey ride....     Dave

Reactions: themule69
thanks for the welcome i will stop in at roll call after this post  the tank is 30 in diameter, 48 inches weld to weld and 6ft 7in end to end  so roughly 15.5 inches from each end from the welds to the end of the domes

Symonds, evening....   Can you post the dimensions of the tank on here.....  circumference, length between the welds on the dome ends, and overall length....  those numbers will give me a good idea of the size of the tank...   I know the tag says, 200 gal gas but at times they factor in a dead space volume that is to allow for expansion...   I will then do up a preliminary set of numbers for a RF smoker for you....

Please take a moment and stop into " /Roll Call/   " and introduce yourself and get a proper welcome from our members.... Also, if you would note your location in your profile, it will help in the future when answering questions about smokin'...   elevation, humidity etc....    

We're glad you stopped in and joined our group...    Enjoy the long smokey ride....     Dave
Thanks dave. I will be watching as well. I still wish you knew wood boilers

Happy smoken.

David

thanks for the welcome i will stop in at roll call after this post  the tank is 30 in diameter, 48 inches weld to weld and 6ft 7in end to end  so roughly 15.5 inches from each end from the welds to the end of the domes
I can see the smile in your face while you are typing. DaveOmak
77.gif
will get you going in the right direction. In fact i think he may be able to build
th_HaHa7_ani.gif
you a smoker in his sleep. Only problem is you won't be able to fire it up in his head
th_Slab_of_meat.gif
. We will all be needing him in the future
first.gif
. Remember when he gets you on track and we see smoke. He needs
points.gif
. Then he can use his points to buy us all a
Beer.gif
. Remember to take and post lots of pics of your build. Or you will be seeing a lot of this
worthless.gif

Happy smoken.

David

i will do my best to keep pics coming as i make progress  and thanks dave for helpin me with the numbers

thanks dave your number s are about the same as i came up with but the rf measurement, the half moon measurement help a ton as well thanks again i will try to get some pics this weekend when i start working on it 

i have a couple more questions for my rf plate i was goin to use 2 pieces of 1/4 inch with a 1/4x2 angle in the middle but i would like to just make 1 piece of 1/4 inch the correct size for the entire rf plat and then put it in the press break and give it a slight crease in the middle for the drain would this affect the function? also my stove im using for a fire box has fire brick lining it should i remove them or just the ones i need to for the outlet and vents? thanks in advance

Press brake is fine....  easier to install, cheaper, less welding, water tight....But the 1 piece is heavy...try for a 1" valley or so... 1" in 15" is a good slope.......   remove only the necessary firebrick... 

You can tack weld in the RF plate....  not necessary for full welds...1/2" bead every 12" would work...  as heavy as it will be, it ain't going no where...  with the crease, it will only expand downward.... 

The "v" formed in the RF plate will tack right up to the 2 1/4" space in the firebox between the FB/CC cutout and the top of the FB...

Dave

its a kodiak stove the doors have a couple cracks and the baffles inside are burned out so i dont feel to bad cutting it up  lol

dave i have a couple more questions first off my moth on the fire box was way off so instead of cutting the hump off i will raise the top to the height of the hump giving me 24 height 27 wide 24 tall 15552 cu in but i will have to mount it with the charge door to the back in order to have the width i need will this be ok. also how far into the cc should the fb go? and how big a gap between the end of the rf and the end of the tank?  thanks

To make fit up easy for the RF plate, insert the FB to the weld around the tank.... that's where it straightens out and the RF plate can then be a rectangle.....   You can stop the RF plate at the weld seam at the other end....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky