20 lb prime rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fully81

Original poster
Mar 1, 2017
I am going to be cooking a 20 lb prime rib on a GMG Daniel Boone Pellet grill. Was wondering about how long it will take to cook and what is the best way to cook it. I see some people say cook it at 500 degrees for an hour then go down to around 200 and some say to start at 200 and finish at 500. Thanks.

How about just go in the middle at 250 and be safe? U don't want to burn a nice 20 pound prime rib. I think the outside would burn before inside is cooked at 500

Big roast.. maybe consider 2 pieces instead of 1.. 425 is all I did mine .. to 130 degrees IT.. it was only 11 lbs though. Been 2 years since I did one for a special occasion.

One piece will cook the same as two. With lean roasts it’s thickness of the roast that determines the cook Time not weight.

You need to cook to internal temp.

How done do you want it? Tough cut to do for masses unless everyone likes steak one way. That’s what you’re cooking only in its primal form.

I would cook to 120-125. Rest 30-45 minutes slice. If it’s a uniform thickness, after the rest you’ll be medium rare. If there’s those that want it well or we’ll done, sear the slices in a pan or on the grill.

No need to crank the heat to 500. I’d just smoke and go. I’d run 350-385. Plan on 4 hours or so.

Reactions: motolife313
I agree with Case...cook till a rare done-ness (120-125 IT) and then rest 30-45 minutes and slice and sear off pieces for the crowd as they would like their steaks. I cooked a much small PR at 250 for about 3 hours on the smoker and did this with great results.

Make sure to get it seasoned...Worcestershire pepper and garlic

on the smoker....

Slice for a rare/med rare and then sear as needed... don't over cook!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I've done several 14#+ PR on my GMG.
I rub with SPOG, smoke at 225 to a IT of 130.
Rest 30 min and slice. When cooking at 225 the color will be even from end to end. My wife likes hers overdone. So I slice the end piece off and put in on the gasser.

My last one was 16# and took about 7 hrs IIRC.

two pieces as then you have two more ends and it will not lovercook on outside and ends. that way.. i do mine at 235 till 128 and perfect...after it sits in fridge for days with the rub on it,,,

I am going to be cooking a 20 lb prime rib on a GMG Daniel Boone Pellet grill. Was wondering about how long it will take to cook and what is the best way to cook it. I see some people say cook it at 500 degrees for an hour then go down to around 200 and some say to start at 200 and finish at 500. Thanks.

Hi 81,
It doesn't matter how big your Prime Rib is, if you want it to be the same doneness from Bark to Bark keep your Smoker Temp between 220° and 250°. I do all of mine at about 220°. Below is a Calendar with Pics of about 14 Prime Ribs.
And below that, take your Pick---They all show you how long they took & what Temps I used.
These were all about 5 pounds +/- 1 LB, but a 20 pounder would only be an hour or so longer, due to the big piece of Cold Meat overpowering your smoker in the beginning:

Prime Rib Calendar (14 Smoked Prime Ribs)
Smoked Prime Rib (Double Birthday Dinner 2017)
Smoked Prime Rib (47th Anniversary Dinner)
Smoked Prime Rib (First of 2017)
Smoked Prime Rib (Apple Smoke)
Smoked Prime Rib (New Best Ever)

Smoked Prime Rib (Another One)
Smoked Prime Rib (Great Stuff)
Smoked Prime Rib (Best Ever)

Smoked PRIME RIB (Multiple Woods)
Smoked Prime Rib (Panned)

Bear

Reactions: motolife313
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky