2 Fatties for the 4th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinut

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
First attempts at making a fatty and they turned out pretty good.

jare2yda.jpg

Everything laid out

ebemaqun.jpg

Stuff for the Cordon Bleu fatty

bujebavu.jpg

Cordon Bleu pre-roll

6ety3u8u.jpg

Cordon Bleu rolled and wrapped

e8ynygeh.jpg

Breakfast type fatty stuff

2ajyqa8a.jpg

Both together ready for smoke. I forgot to get a pick of the assembly of the breakfast one

arema6ur.jpg

Smoked, crisped in oven, and sliced

Lost a lot of cheese in the Cordon Bleu, my roll wasn't very good and it leaked. But overall I liked these and I'll definitely be doing more.

This 4th of July, take time to remember how and why we celebrate. It's not just a day to party.

Thanks you guys. One thing I learned today is that 2lbs of ground meat is TOO MUCH to put in 1 fatty

This 4th of July, take time to remember how and why we celebrate. It's not just a day to party.

They look nice and are always fun to make...JJ

Those look awesome!  I still haven't done a fatty but it's on my todo list.  What temp and how long did you smoke them?  (I suppose same question for the oven crisping)? Thanks and nice job!

303.. they are frozen precooked hashbrowns it looks... just thraw them enough to spread evenly.. they will warm up just fine in the smoker...
And terry..
Your preferred smoking temp. . Mine is 225 for fatties for alittle extra smoke.. JMHO.. I like smokey flavor..enternal temp of 160* is my liking... with a little rest after.. usually about 2 hours maybe 2.5hrs on the smoker.
Hope that helps... ;)
Mike

Were the hash browns cooked or thawed prior to smoke?
I actually got a nice crispy brown on them first, then cooled and layered into the roll. I did that because I like them crispy, but just a thaw would work I think as they'd get heated up enough while it's cooking.

Those look awesome!  I still haven't done a fatty but it's on my todo list.  What temp and how long did you smoke them?  (I suppose same question for the oven crisping)? Thanks and nice job!
I was wanting to smoke at 250 but was having temp issues, ended up at 220 for 2.5 hours, and then crisped in the oven under the broiler at 500 for about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
If you do decide to do one, roll everything first, then wrap it with bacon. I had some bacon get rolled inside of the fatty and it didn't get crisped or anything and isn't the most pleasant of textures lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Great First try. keep trying and imagine how good they will be on the next run. And to you guys that haven't made a fatty? What are you waiting for. You won't believe how good they can be. And great to experiment with on a new smoker, or just something to do for a couple of hours. 

This is probably a stupid question but hwat did you use for the meat base for the [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Cordon BLeu one?[/color]

This is probably a stupid question but hwat did you use for the meat base for the [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Cordon BLeu one?[/color]
I used ground chicken with a maple smoked bacon for the wrap. Monterey jack cheese and honey ham for the inside.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky