1st smoke - "BloodBath's Big Bird" 17lb Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh forgot to ask.  I plan on wrapping it in foil and putting it an an ice chest surrounded by towels.   Can I remove it at 160?  or wait till 165

160 is fine in my book but I don't wrap it. You'll lose any of the crispiness you have. I just set that bird on the counter for 30min-1hr.

edit: 160 for breast meat. I would still wait if the thigh isn't there.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'd wait minimum 165...actually, I'm pulling higher at the thigh or you're gonna be to pinkish for many. I'd agree with above.....tent only if REAL crispy.. that's a BIG bird....we cook by temp, not time as you've seen so when it's done....it's done. Everybody have another beverage and chill.....OR plop in oven in 350-375 to hasten the process. I hate rawish bird.......here's one I did a while back in a gasser....http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/103692/smoked-turkey-in-the-master-forge-gasser-w-qview

Wayne 

That is a great looking bird. Happy you chose that over the brisket. Holy cow look how big it is!  That baby is going to take some time to cook.  BUT looks like you're well under way.  As for the color, I think it's looking good.  Onions in the cavity is a good idea to help with keeping moister and adding flavor. That is one impressive Turkey.  I see Willie and Foam have got your back,  They wont let ya mess up.  How the heck did you go from "I think for my first smoke I'll cook brisket" to smoking the worlds largest turkey?

One last thing.  I agree with what Willie said.  Dont pull that big of a turkey until that breast is 165.

Brian 

Last edited:
Thank you all so much.... people got 4ths!!

It came out much better than could have hoped for.  I took it out at precisely 165.  It was tender and juicy.

Thank you all for your support for my first smoke!
Whoop whoop....xlnt  job there & people got 4ths? wow...good for you. Hope you kept notes or make some now while the smoke is fresh in your head. I went to the bigger pic & noticed those SAUSAGES you never mentioned anything about.....and that huge bowl of tater salad looked tasty. A feast indeed. Any info on those sausages? a local Tx favorite perhaps? Congrats on a sweet job.....Willie

Whoop whoop....xlnt  job there & people got 4ths? wow...good for you. Hope you kept notes or make some now while the smoke is fresh in your head. I went to the bigger pic & noticed those SAUSAGES you never mentioned anything about.....and that huge bowl of tater salad looked tasty. A feast indeed. Any info on those sausages? a local Tx favorite perhaps? Congrats on a sweet job.....Willie
Sorry I didn't mention that Willie!  It is a Texas brand of sausage, Praseks.  This was all beef sausage.  They have quite a few varieties and can be ordered online, I think.

Google Prasek's Hilge Smokehouse

They are fantastic.  The sausage is thoroughly smoked, so it is not completely cooked.  I verified this with them by phone. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Thank you all SO MUCH for all of your support!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Just a heads up...the mods will likely delete your post because of a link. Very strange rule but we must abide by it. You can have the brand name just no link...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky