1st smoke - "BloodBath's Big Bird" 17lb Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bloodbath

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Corpus Christi, TX
Thar she blows!!

Injected with apple cider, melted unsalted butter, cajun spices, and some garlic powder.  I put Amazen's pitmaster's choice pellets (1/2 load on AMNPS), and onions in the chip tray.  Coated bird with olive oil.  Temp 225.

I did not brine because the kitchen floor thought it needed it more than the turkey!!!

Wish me luck!

....... Wayne

Hmm... That's a great idea! 

I'll start working on patience tomorrow .............. starting tomorrow

(I'll work on procrastination at same time)

Last edited:
I put them in the tray that the wood chips go in.  I am using AMNPS for the primary smoke.  Yes they burn up in there just like wood chips do.  They are there just to create flavor in your pit/smoker.  I put onion on the fire for every BBQ I do.

Last edited:
having party for 15...a going away party :(   I will also smoke 4lbs texas smoked beef sausage (prazek's)

I am 3hrs in and the bird is already 135.  Is it cooking too fast?

Also wondering if I didn't stick the probe in far enough.  Never used one before

having party for 15...a going away party :(   I will also smoke 4lbs texas smoked beef sausage (prazek's)

I am 3hrs in and the bird is already 135.  Is it cooking too fast?

Also wondering if I didn't stick the probe in far enough.  Never used one before

nice. thats a lotta bird. hope your party is hungry..lol. i sure am. youre turkey seems to be going along about right. i normally put the probe in the thickest part of the breast. make sure you dont run it along any bones, dont want false readings.

Probe just needs to be in about an inch or two....sometimes difficult on birds to find the sweet spot without touching a bone. And most of us temp the thigh meat which needs to be around 185 IT and breast should be about 175 IT so I would move the probe eventually to the thigh meat. You're close to getting out of the danger zone in the 4 hour window...a good thing since you're having guests. I'd crank up that MES to about 250, but that's me. Watch your chamber temp if possible....just because it's set at 225 doesn't mean it is inside. It should be beautiful when done and wow your guests. Carry on......Willie

4 hrs in ....IT 147
Still concerned that the very top is black.  Should I cover it foil?  or perhaps put that botton water pan above it to block some heat?

OR does it look ok to you?

Last edited:
It looks great too me but if you're getting concerned you can tent the top. I like extra crispy skin so I would leave it myself.

That looks fantastic!! If you still have some ways to go cooking you might want to put foil on it.

A lot of what you are calling black is probably the hickory smoke. Hickory and mesquite tend to add a blackened color if you have a lot of smoke going on. I can't see that well but that would ne my first guess, not that the top is burning.

If its burning certainly spritz it and tent it.

Hickory and mesquite are both considered hard smokes and both make a dark color when used. Usually when I smoke with either of the two I back off the smoke some because some folks find it harsh. They are just an aqquired taste.

Looks like a good bird though! I think Turkey is my favorite smoke.

Good luck and enjoy the smoke

OK Pic 2.

Added a gravy pan (with throw away foil pan on top), replaced onions with hickory chips.  Top too dark?

ill take all the parts you think are too dark..lol. 
drool.gif

Thanks guys.  I took out the gravy cause it was just slowing me down too much.  I put it on and the IT is 151.  Going slower than I had hoped. Set the smoker  to 250

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky