1st Bacon Smoke w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
I put some bellies into the smokehouse and the temps have been less than 135 since and now that the sun is down the temps are running around 108 how long should I leave them in the smoke? 

702e9fb4_DSC02450.jpg

About 4 hours in

80737f92_DSC02462.jpg

Last edited:
I've never done bellies but I'll bet Cowgirl will be along shortly to help you out. Looking good so far though!

Here they are at 5.5 hours and smokehouse temp is now 99
d3dfbc99_DSC02467.jpg

bc7b5d24_DSC02468.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Piney
I just made my first attempt at honey cured bellies. They turned out pretty good for the first time. I had to desaltnate them for about 3 hours (3, 1 hour complete water change outs. Put in the smoke house around 12:30 PM. Warmed up the house slowly with full draft for about 1 hour. Closed up draft to 1/4 and applied smoke (hickory) via external smoke guns.
Everything went ok till about 6 PM when the stone base in my smokehouse finally warmed up to ambient temp, then the fun started! I had cut back my heat as far as I could, and she was still climbing to 148 degs. I could not keep the bacon internal temp from climbing. I finally pulled at around 9 PM when the internal got to 145 Degs.
I think the next time I will not make any heat and only cold smoke the bacon, since it is cured I should be able to get away with that. The bacon will probally resemble store bought, but with a better taste.
I don't think you need to worry about too low a temp, as compaired to getting enough smoke on the bacon. Just my opion.
Dennis

Here they are at 7 hours
2e14c5f5_DSC02470.jpg

7b0c6e6f_DSC02473.jpg

Last edited:
Thats some mighty fine looking bacon there jerry. So far so good keep up the great work.

do you still have the bellies in the smoker? I usually leave mine in overnight if I can keep the temps down. I only do bacon in the winter because of this temp problem. Yours is looking very good so far.

I went a total of 9 hours in the smoker. Thanks Bob for helping with my first bacon smoke. Here they are out of the smoke house. I used mostly pecan and cherry with just a little oak to get things going.

03da07ac_DSC02474.jpg

fecf6b09_DSC02475.jpg

cacfda56_DSC02476.jpg

2faff35c_DSC02477.jpg

Last edited:
Wow those slabs look picture perfect Jerry, Nice to see your first attempt went so well. How did the new smoke house perform?

Well Bob said I have to wait before I can slice it so I haven't gotten to try it yet but when I slice it you can bet I'll post it

Heres the bacon and it tastes great
This is what was left after slicing and my brother in law already claimed it for doing a big batch of greens
bddcdf54_DSC02484.jpg

Yum bacon
736f6810_DSC02486.jpg

91f8f1f2_DSC02487.jpg

Of course we had to sample some
308e34ac_DSC02489.jpg

6f372f72_DSC02492.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky