100% All Beef Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dan thanks for the point, 

Hung in smoker no smoke 45 min. to dry 130* F

smoked with apple 3.5 hrs stayed around 130*F

Pulled an put in my oven at 170* 

pulled at 155* IT placed in ice water till temp came down 75*

5 lbs. Bologna

5# Ground Beef
90/10 preground beef
1 cup (8oz.)  Ice water
1 level tsp. cure #1
1 cup NFDM or Soy Protien Concentrate
3/4 Tbsp. Dextrose   
2   Tbsp. salt
½ Tbsp - White Pepper
1 Tbsp - Paprika
1/2 Tbsp  - Nutmeg
½ tsp - Allspice
½ tsp - Onion Powder
1 tsp - Ground Coriander

Regrind meat using the small plate,mix seasoning and cure with the water.mix with the meat thoroughly. Fridge over night.

I used the SPC 

It could use some Garlic and more fat for frying

Richie

Reactions: ron in ohio
Thanks Richie:

Very descriptive and informative.

In our freezer I still have about 6 or 7 Lb. packages of Eckrich all-beef bologna (Baloney! as they call it around here. It's about the best we can get) that I got when Kroger had a 10 for $10 sale on it. Every time I fire-up my big smoker I make a point of smoking another pack or two of the baloney and some lamb stuffed/bacon wrapped jumbo jalapenos along with what ever else that I'm smoking to better fill the smoker. The baloney is good but, yours sounds better.

The closest that I have ever come to what you've done is to make some smoked beef and lamb jerky and snack sticks, which I finish-off in our dehydrator. That said and having never tried to make my own. I do have a few questions.

1) The casings that you use? I went on Cabela's site and only got more confused. Are those casings sorta' net-like? I look at the wrapping on store bought baloney and see that it isn't porous so, I'm sure it isn't smoked. Just wondering which casing to use to allow the smoke in.

2) 7 hours in an oven @ 170°? Now, not only am I lazy but my wife objected, "No way your gonna' tie-up my oven and kitchen for 7 hours!" She said. Is there an alternative? How about my aforementioned dehydrator?

3) Your Cabela's freeze wrap really looked good but, Our grinder is a Northern Industrial 1000 from Northern Tool. Is that freeze wrap specific to just Cabela's grinder or I wonder if it will fit most any? Also, we have one of those therapeutic freezer wrap thingees for sore aches and muscles, I'll bet in a pinch I can wrap one of those around the nozzle after I take both out of the freezer.

Again, good posting.

Thanks Richie:

Very descriptive and informative.

In our freezer I still have about 6 or 7 Lb. packages of Eckrich all-beef bologna (Baloney! as they call it around here. It's about the best we can get) that I got when Kroger had a 10 for $10 sale on it. Every time I fire-up my big smoker I make a point of smoking another pack or two of the baloney and some lamb stuffed/bacon wrapped jumbo jalapenos along with what ever else that I'm smoking to better fill the smoker. The baloney is good but, yours sounds better.

The closest that I have ever come to what you've done is to make some smoked beef and lamb jerky and snack sticks, which I finish-off in our dehydrator. That said and having never tried to make my own. I do have a few questions.

1) The casings that you use? I went on Cabela's site and only got more confused. Are those casings sorta' net-like? I look at the wrapping on store bought baloney and see that it isn't porous so, I'm sure it isn't smoked. Just wondering which casing to use to allow the smoke in.

2) 7 hours in an oven @ 170°? Now, not only am I lazy but my wife objected, "No way your gonna' tie-up my oven and kitchen for 7 hours!" She said. Is there an alternative? How about my aforementioned dehydrator?

3) Your Cabela's freeze wrap really looked good but, Our grinder is a Northern Industrial 1000 from Northern Tool. Is that freeze wrap specific to just Cabela's grinder or I wonder if it will fit most any? Also, we have one of those therapeutic freezer wrap thingees for sore aches and muscles, I'll bet in a pinch I can wrap one of those around the nozzle after I take both out of the freezer.

Again, good posting.
1  http://www.basspro.com/LEM-Products-Wild-Game-Fibrous-Casings/product/36801/   Basspro for the casing

2 If you can maintain the heat in the smoker,use a step method increase by 10 degrees every hour till u reach 155 IT (internal temp)

3 I have a Kitchener #12. The Cabellas #12 was to big for mine I was out in Pa. when I bought it.So I went back out the following week and returned it,the #8 fits mine.

here is a pic of mine with measures 

Ron hope this helps Thanks 

Richie

Sorry to bother ya' again Richie but I took a measurement off of my grinder and over-laid it on your pic. Our grinders seem to be nearly the same size. Mine measures 4-1/2" from face of grinder to the plate hold-down flange. When ya' get a chance, see if it is the same on yours, please. Our nearest Bass Pro Shops are about 35 miles in one direction and about 45 miles in another so, we don't get to one very often. Next trip that way I'll get one.

Thanks again,

Ron in Ohio

Sorry to bother ya' again Richie but I took a measurement off of my grinder and over-laid it on your pic. Our grinders seem to be nearly the same size. Mine measures 4-1/2" from face of grinder to the plate hold-down flange. When ya' get a chance, see if it is the same on yours, please. Our nearest Bass Pro Shops are about 35 miles in one direction and about 45 miles in another so, we don't get to one very often. Next trip that way I'll get one.

Thanks again,

Ron in Ohio

Ron actual measure is 4 1/4" 

35 miles I am glad they are 100 plus away from me LOL

Cabellas #8 Freeze Pack

Richie

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky