As i posted in another post, my large OzarkSmoke Reverse Flow smoker trailer was just a bit too much smoker for regular home use, so it left me searching the interwebs. A Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), seemed to fit the bill; and with that, I was off. I purchased the drums from a company just outside of St. Louis, Missouri in Venice, IL called Container Distributors. They charged $60 for a brand new open top unlined drum with lid (here is the link http://www.containerdistributors.com/). These drums give me 33" of interior drum height to deal with, and for these we will be using a flat lid. Here was my initial design: Drum Interior Height = 33" Location of Top Rack from Top of Smoker = 8" Location of Lower Rack from Top of Smoker = 14" Charcoal Basket Overall Height (Including 3" Standoff) = 13" (10" Charcoal wall) Charcoal Basket Inside Diameter = 15" (using 3/4 x #9 Exp Metal) Quantity of Air Intakes = 2 Size of Air Intakes = 1-1/2 Standard Pipe Location of Air Intakes From Outside Bottom = 3" to Center of Pipe Size of Exhaust On Lid = 3" Standard Pipe Location of Exhaust On Lid = Unknown Well, we finished 2 of the 4 UDS smokers this week before Jeff Fitter and I took off for the Tri-County BBQ Championship in Festus, Missouri. We didn't cook our competition on the drums, but it gave us something to play with during the down time. I have to say, I am really really impressed with the drums. Here are some photos from the process. --Matt Tucker =========================================== Photo # 001 (New, Un-Lined Drums) I bought these drums from Container Distributors in Venice, IL for $60/each. Photo # 002 (An inside look at the layout) You can see the layout lines for the 2 shelves, the diffuser shelf, and the hanging racks at the top. Photo # 003 (Fitting up the lids.) Time to fit up the exhaust on the lids. A 1ft piece of 3" Standard Pipe fit the bill. Photo # 004 (The Cook Chamber) Almost all fitted up and ready for welding. Photo # 005 (Welding Time) Time to get it all welded up. Photo # 006 (Lid and Handle Design) I did not want a hinged lid, but also didn't want a hook to just hang the lid. Some small tubing and round rod did the trick nicely. Photo # 007 (Grinding) Lots and lots of grinding. Photo # 008 (Charcoal Baskets) Without a doubt, the Charcoal Baskets took the longest to complete. Cutting 3/4 x #9 Expanded metal with a torch is tedious work. Photo # 009 (Almost Complete) Almost complete. Photo # 010 (Bling) Exhaust covers and some "bling" are painted up. Photo # 011 (Phatso's BBQ UDS) A look at the first one painted up for Phatso's BBQ, a friend of mine. We used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel for the paint in aerosol cans (it took 3 full cans per UDS). Photo # 011 (OzarkSmoke's UDS) A look at the first one painted up for OzarkSmoke, this one's mine. We used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel for the paint in aerosol cans (it took 3 full cans per UDS). Photo # 012 (A look at both smokers.) Both UDS's together. We have 2 more that are almost done, but weren't quite ready for photos. Photo # 013 (OzarkSmoke Bling) I really like the look of the stand-off for the logos, and the alternating colors.