Started my UDS project w/build-view

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by mrwizardgi, Sep 26, 2008.

  1. mrwizardgi

    mrwizardgi Meat Mopper

    I got started on my UDS project this week. I bought 2 barrels so this first one is a trial run. I'm pretty much just shooting from the hip using ideas from things I've seen here and elsewhere. Thanks a lot to those who have posted their builds for the great info.

    Here we go:

    Here are a couple of shots of the burn out. I may still need to do another one as I'm not convinced everything burned out as much as it should have.

    Burning stuff is fun...[​IMG]

    Here is the fire bowl from the knockoff. I had just cut off about 2 in worth of the bowl as it wouldn't fit as it was.

    I drilled additional holes to help with air flow using a 1in. hole saw.

    Here is my idea for using the fire bowl as my charcoal basket. I may need to drill more holes to get better air flow, but as I said, this is trial an error for now.

    I drilled 4 intakes around the bottom of the barrel.

    Here is the barrel with the pipe inserted into the intakes. I need to get the conduit lock collars so they don't move. I also plan on adding an extension pipe up the length of the barrel for my air 'spigot' so I don't have to bend over to adjust air flow (I'm lazy like that).

    I plan on using the lid from the kettle. I will also add the wheels, a shelf I didn't use on my Char-Griller, the handles from the kettle, and a few other things as time rolls on. I did realize the bolts I bought weren't long enough to hold my grate so I'll have to make a trip back to the hardware store to do an exchange.

    Thanks for looking!

  2. wutang

    wutang Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

    Looks like you have already made quite a bit of progress. Nice pics.

    How well does the lid from the kettle fit on the drum? Any modifications to the lid needed?
  3. jbchoice1

    jbchoice1 Smoking Fanatic

    love the ideas, thanks for posting
  4. richoso1

    richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Looks like you're moving right along, nice work.
  5. mrwizardgi

    mrwizardgi Meat Mopper

    Yeah, the lid doesn't have a perfect fit so I'll have to come up with something. It fits good enough that it rests on the lip of the barrel so I may just take some pliers and bend the lip of the lid out a bit all the way around. I'll have to monkey with it a bit.

  6. bbq bubba

    bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Good start!

    You will definetly need more holes on your basket.

    Get that inside down to bare metal before you season!
  7. mrwizardgi

    mrwizardgi Meat Mopper

    Thanks! What's the best way to get down to the bare metal? A wire brush? Thanks again for the input!

  8. big game cook

    big game cook Smoking Fanatic

    cool. getting ready to build one myself.
  9. rickw

    rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Looking good. I used a wire wheel and drill to take my barrel down to the metal. It worked great.
  10. cowgirl

    cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Looking good!!
  11. big game cook

    big game cook Smoking Fanatic

    sweet. got my drum and burning out as i type.[​IMG] cant wait to try er too.
  12. motorhedd

    motorhedd Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

    Hey!Thanx for letting us look!And lookin good indeed![​IMG]
  13. mrwizardgi

    mrwizardgi Meat Mopper

    Thanks! Need all the encouragement I can get...I'm not a very handy person (well I try, but usually end up making things worse!) so I'm keeping positive that I can get this done AND have it work! Lol...stay tuned...

  14. guvna

    guvna Smoking Fanatic

    looking good so far! keep us posted...
  15. chadpole

    chadpole Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

    About that Webber lid. Mine didn't fit either. I put the lip on a hard surface and lightly tapped it with a hammer to shape it " out ". Don't take all of the bend out, but it works for me. Just a thought for ya.
  16. mrwizardgi

    mrwizardgi Meat Mopper

    Thanks! Yeah, I messed around a bit this weekend and took and bent the lip back all away around just enough to give it a bit more 'grab' on to the lip of the barrel. It worked out pretty well. I also started getting everything together. I have one or two more parts to pick up, but for the most part I just need time to fully burn it out, paint it, and put all of the accessories together. I'm hoping to get sometime this week to do it all. We'll see...Thanks again!


Share This Page