Need some details on the "Big Belly mod" for a UDS

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by slim, Feb 14, 2010.

  1. slim

    slim Meat Mopper

    Im in the process of building my uds and i wanna do the extension on the ball valve....i cant find details any where?

    Thanks alot
  2. bob the noob

    bob the noob Smoke Blower

    I think I found what you're looking for... You just need a metal rod and some brackets to mount it from off of the UDS.

    The rod gets brazed/welded onto the top of the ball valve at the bottom, then maybe a support bracket for the rod 1/2 way up the UDS, then another bracket at the top with the handle from the valve brazed/welded on top of the rod. You could probly use small corner brackets from a home improvement place as the rod holders too. Just put the rod through the holes, but you may need to drill 'em out a little depending on the size of rod used.

    Essentially making one really long shaft to the valve.

    Or did I misunderstand what you were asking?
  3. slim

    slim Meat Mopper

    Thats it...i was looking for a way to attach the rod to the valve....
  4. smokin' dick

    smokin' dick Smoking Fanatic

    Here's another option. A 1" ball valve on a 24" pipe and elbow attached at the drum with conduit nuts. No weld mod.
  5. rbranstner

    rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    I second that method that is exactly what I did. All you need is a 1" 90 degree elbow, a 24" piece of threaded male to male black pipe and a 1" ball valve. Also go get a U bolt style bolt to attach the pipe to the smoker. Easy way and no welding.
  6. bustintires

    bustintires Smoke Blower

    is that the air intake?
  7. buffalosmoke

    buffalosmoke Meat Mopper

    I plan on doing the same soon as I dig out my tripod vise and threader! It's currently buried in the garage somewhere....

    I did weld my 90° fitting, but you don't need to.
  8. slim

    slim Meat Mopper

    Is that your only looks like you have the nipples w/caps also....or am i wrong.

  9. smokin' dick

    smokin' dick Smoking Fanatic

    You see correctly. There are two other intakes with caps, both are 3/4".
  10. rbranstner

    rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    I only have one ball valve/pipe extension in mine and then I have three more capped intakes all of them are 1". You can add more ball valves and pipe but you don't need it and it saves money to only have one as well. Once you are up to temp you will regulate it with your ball valve and all the rest will be capped closed. If you need more than one fully open ball valve then you open one of the capped ones and close your ball valve down and slowly open it until you reach your temp. If for some reason a fully open ball valve and a open capped one aren't enough air then take two of the caps off and close your ball valve and slowly open it until you reach your temp. I have smoked a hand full of times on my UDS and I have only had to open a capped intake once and it was below zero out. Normally to run at 225-250 I am sitting at around 1/2 to 3/4 open ball valve. Of course you do open the capped ones to get your fire going then close them as your are close to reaching your running temp you are looking for.
  11. slim

    slim Meat Mopper

    Thanks alot

Share This Page