My first picnics

Discussion in 'Pork' started by seadog92, Aug 21, 2014.

  1. seadog92

    seadog92 Smoke Blower

    Thanks to some great help from Pops and Dave, I tried my first picnic hams.  I picked up a pair of them from Restaurant Depot and decided to do a wet brine.  I had asked about whether or not to debone or leave the bone in, and ended up doing one of each.  They came in at 10 lbs each, and both fit inside a 5 gallon bucket.  I used Pop's recipe and made up two gallons.

    1 gallon water

    1 cup kosher salt

    1 cup sugar

    1 cup Br. Sugar

    1 Tbs. cure #1

    Here's the Cry-O-Vac of the two picnics

    Next came the skinning.  I decided since I had two, I'd try removing the skin on one and leave it on the second one to see how each came out.

    Next came boning the Picnic, and once again, having two, I decided to leave one bone in so that I could see the difference between the two.

    After injecting both picnics with plenty of cure, I put them in the cure and put them in the smokehouse fridge for their 14 day salty hibernation.

    In two weeks, I'll put both in socks, hang to dry for a few hours, then apply cold smoke for several more hours, then into the Cookshack to finish smoking to an I.T. of 160.  Updates and more photos to come in two weeks.
  2. reinhard

    reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    I'll be watching.  I haven't done a picnic yet and it will be interesting to see the finished product.  Pop's brine rules.  Reinhard
  3. c farmer

    c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    I am in. I haven't tried picnics either but want too.
  4. pops6927

    pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Great job on the deboning!  Looking super!
  5. daveomak

    daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Looks good..... It's nice you decided to bone one and compare the results.... Thumbs Up
  6. disco

    disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    It is going to be interesting with your comparison of the different techniques. I look forward to your thoughts on the differences.

  7. seadog92

    seadog92 Smoke Blower

    Ok,next step.....sorry, no pictures. I left the ham in cure for 15 days. Got shocked at seeing my first roping brine, then rinsed, dried and cold smoked 15 hours. I put the hams in my comeback at 225 and have started hot smoking. My question is, should I finish them in the smoker, or bring them in when they've hit 130 IT and finish them in the oven. Any ideas?
  8. I would personally finish them in the smoker as long as you have it going. Only reasons to finish in oven is if you run short of time or can't get smoker temps high enough to finish. I did a bone in picnic last Easter and double smoked it similar to what you are doing and it turned out fantastic other than carving was difficult. May have to try to bone out before cure if yours turns out. Let us know how yours compare.
  9. seadog92

    seadog92 Smoke Blower

    Ok, they're done! Hot smoked at 225 for 6 hours, let rest for 20 minutes and carved. I gotta admit, it's dang good! Thanks for all the comments and help.

  10. disco

    disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Looks like nice slices.

  11. oldschoolbbq

    oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Thanks, that  looks great . . .

    Later . . .

Share This Page