Meat to Fat Ratio calculator?

Discussion in 'Messages for All Guests and Members' started by coffee_junkie, Jan 21, 2011.

  1. coffee_junkie

    coffee_junkie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Does anybody out there have a spreadsheet or something to help me figure out my meat to fat ratio when making burger or sausage. My math skills suck but I am good at using caclulators. I could probably make one but it is easier just to get one from someone else. Thanks in advance!
     
  2. mballi3011

    mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    [​IMG]

    Well if you had 1pound of meat (16oz) nd you wanted 15% fat to meat thats 2.4 oz of fat to meat. Now I haven't seen a scale or speadsheet on the matters. When I made sausage I use 15 or 20% fat to meat.
     
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. coffee_junkie

    coffee_junkie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    I was just thinking a spreadsheet that if I plug in the amount of venison I have, and the fat ratio I am after, it would give me the amount of fat I need to add to achieve that. I realize it is easy math but I just took out 14lbs of venison from the freezer and couldn't figure out how much fat....I came close and took out 3 lbs of fat, I was close but not on the button.
     
  4. coffee_junkie

    coffee_junkie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    I normally make my sausage with 30% pork and 60% venison. And it works out good but it would be nice to calculate the fat content a little better. Maybe I am getting too scientific but that is who I am I guess.
     
  5. beer-b-q

    beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    14lbs X 30% = 4.2lbs of fat...
     
  6. beer-b-q

    beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Okay, that's 90% what is the other 10%?
     
  7. jirodriguez

    jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    If you change the percentage of fat you want to a decimal then you just have to multiply it by the number of pounds of meat you have.

    15% = 0.15

    0.15 x 14 = 2.1 lbs of fat

    20% = 0.20

    0.20 x 14 = 2.8 lbs. fat.

    Just plug in your percentage as a decimal and multiply and you can do any amount you want. [​IMG]
     
  8. baboy

    baboy Fire Starter

    What you are looking for is called Pearson's Square. Below is a link that allows you to input the values and it calculates what you need for each fat source. You will need to know approximate fat content of your two meat blocks and what your target % fat is.

    http://prechel.net/formula/pearson.htm
     
  9. danmcg

    danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Thanks for the link Baboy
     
  10. worktogthr

    worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

    Know this is an old thread but thanks so much for this! I just got into sausage making and I found that I have a lot of fat and trimmings left over from other smoking projects and I get really
    Good prices on pork loin and chicken thighs, and I wanted to use a combo and achieve the right ratios and had no idea how to figure it out. This is great! Bookmarked it!
     

Share This Page