Looney's first UDS build

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by looney, Mar 17, 2015.

  1. So, after contemplating the whole thing for a while and getting a partner-in-crime (neighboor) onboard, it's time to put my money where my mouth is, or something similar.

    Bought a drum... It's 110 litre which equates to a 30 gallon drum I guess.



    The liner looks bad but isn't, I got to bare metal using grit 100 sandpaper and a few wipes of my hand.

    Anyway, since I'd like to keep the neighbourhood as my friend, I'm having the drum sandblasted inside and outside next thursday for € 40,- so that's not a bad deal.

    Furthermore, we bought:

    3 22mm (sorry, we, in civilization, use the metric system :p ) ball valves

    1 30cm (1 foot) diameter coal basket

    Pipes

    Nuts, bolts

    Donor lid and grill from a Weber OTS 47cm (22"?)

    heat resistant dull black spray paint

    Hickory wood blocks

    3" thermometer (both fahrenheit and celsius scale, to please the smoke gods..)

    We plan on useing the lid as ash tray once we cut it to size since we'll be using a Weber lid anyway.

    It'll all be mounted on three wheels my neighbour has laying around.

    We'll keep you posted!
     
  2. lemans

    lemans Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Looks good. I can see the meat smoking already
     
  3. Would it be necessary to burn out the drum after having it sandblasted both inside and outside? I don't think it held a liquid since it's a clamp-on lid but I'm lacking knowledge of drums in general [​IMG]
     
  4. timberjet

    timberjet Master of the Pit

    You should be fine just seasoning it. I would get paint on the outside immediately after blasting as it will rust really quick. No offence to the metric system but it's not our fault it's not used much in the states.
     
  5. The metric part was a joke, no pun intended.
     
  6. Basket came in yesterday. It needs three bolts and the nuts are already welded to the bottom.

    [​IMG]
     
  7. Let's get going, the drum is nicely sandblasted and clean as a whistle..


    We get started with drilling all the holes and making test fits


    Since both of us are not welders, everything is kept to nuts and bolts.

    The top ring is made of a 3cm wide strip of aluminium and secured to the drum using 12 small bolts and nuts



    More test fits..


    Since we're not welding, the inner to outer connection is made by sawing and folding the metal of the tube and then make sure the connection is as tight as we could make it before tightening the nut. Heat resistant silicone is then applied on the outside to make the hole airtight.



    All the holes drilled, time for heat resistant spray paint, dull black..


    Almost final result:


    Since we used up our two cans of paint, we'll be giving the drum a final layer of paint in due time when the weather is nicer..

    Since we'll be using a Weber lid, we used the old lid as an ashtray under the coal basket.



    It's starting to come together nicely. Here the first tube and ball-valve is in place and the heat resistant silicone liner is in place.


    Everything in place, time for seasoning..






    And here come the ribs...


    Mopping...


    DING DING!


    And the result was as to be expected....

     
  8. Dang that looks professionally built! Really nice job on it
     
  9. dirtsailor2003

    dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Nice drum, nice smoke!
     
  10. gunkle

    gunkle Meat Mopper

    Nice build. good looking ribs.
     

Share This Page