Hello from Florida's East Coast

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by fatwood, Jul 18, 2015.

  1. First, thanks to the forum and all of you for this great resource. I have read until my eyes go crossed for many nights.

    I have been cooking on a weber kettle with wood chips for going on 30 years. This year I decided to try my hand at using a larger smoker and getting some true low and slow BBQ.

    At the end of June I bought a Smoke Hollow 44 Pro. So far, I've done 2 racks of baby backs and 3 racks of spares. All came out pretty good, but still working on perfecting a recipe that matches my tastes. Not so much into sweet BBQ.

    Today I have my first pork butt in the smoker. Been going at 240*-245* and has been in for 1.5 hours...the suspense is killing me
  2. [​IMG]   Good evening and welcome to the forum, from another hot day in East Texas and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

  3. aprilized

    aprilized Fire Starter

    Welcome and greetings from South Florida. I'm new here as well and this forum is excellent. The best info anywhere and truly interested and friendly folks.

    Happy smoking :) 

  4. bluewhisper

    bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Welcome to the board! You've already looked around. So join in the discussions!

    I learned my smoking basics on Webers. I have a 1981 which is looking like a rocket was launched out of it.
  5. Here's the butt ready to go into the smoker

    Just closed the door

    Pulled and juicy

    Smoker stayed at around 240* for 7 hours. IT was stalled at 155* (according to my probe...need to check calibration) for over an hour. So I pulled it, placed in drip pan, added 1/2 cup apple juice / Honey Jack mix, covered in foil and back in the smoker. After about an hour, a thunder storm kicked up, so I moved it to the oven at 230 until IT showed 205*. All together it cooked for about 12 hours. Then double wrapped in foil and towels and into the cooler to rest for an hour.

    When I unwrapped in, the bone pulled out clean and the meat came apart real easy. Mixed some of the pan juices and some rub in after pulling and it was GREAT.

    Thanks to all in the forums, my fist try was a success. I see many more in my near and distant future.
  6. bmaddox

    bmaddox Master of the Pit

    Looks good. An hour long stall is pretty normal. It would have been just fine letting it hang out in the stall for a while longer.

    Florida's afternoon storms make it hard to smoke some days but the oven trick sure does help. I will also smoke in my garage if it is raining. I put the smoker inside the garage just far enough to keep it dry and then use a box fan to keep the air moving so the smoke doesn't accumulate. You have to keep an eye on it in case you have a fire but it has helped me make it through many storms. 
  7. joe black

    joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Welcome from SC. You already that the folks here are eager to share their ideas, tips, recipes or anything else that you need. Good luck and keep smoking, Joe
  8. I just thought the stall temp was a bit low. Most of what I have read said stall at about 165*.

    Since the meat was wrapped and no smoke, I figured the smoker was really just acting like an out door oven anyway, so why not just move it inside. GVE me a chance to catch a nap too (

Share This Page