Hanging tenders, Rib Lifters?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by navionjim, Nov 27, 2007.

  1. navionjim

    navionjim Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

    Many moons ago when I was in flight school in Moses Lake Washington I used to frequent a local butcher who would sell me a cut called a "hanging tender". He told me it was the hunk of cow that the hook went through when the half was hanging in the cold room. It had some pretty thick chord to it and was pretty tough if you sliced it with the grain. But if you sliced it cross grain it was really a good piece of meat. I bought a bunch of them to make jerky and it worked really well for that. Another cut he sold me was something called a "rib lifter" which were were far superior and well marbled. I think that was the piece that was cut from the rib to make a rib eye steak, but I could be wrong about that.

    All that aside I have never seen either hanging tenders or rib lifters offered for sale since then and that was almost 30 years ago. Are any of you butcher types out there familiar with either of these cuts or know if they go by another name these days? Just for nostalgia I'd like to taste those cuts again.

    Dutch, I know you'll have some info on this one.
  2. fatback joe

    fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

  3. dutch

    dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Jimbo, the hanging tender is part of the diaphram. The tender is closest to the back bone and is thicker than the rest of the meat that is found on the diaphram (aka rib lifter). In the past, these where commonly tossed into the grind bin for hamburger, recently, these pieces have been sold as frajita meat and is kind of pricy if you can find it.

Share This Page