grinding plates question

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by atcnick, Jan 12, 2010.

  1. atcnick

    atcnick Smoking Fanatic

    I have a Norther Industrial #12 electric grinder. Im looking for a 13mm grinding plate for it. Will any brand's #12 plates work interchangebly? I dont want to buy a plate from online and then get it and it not fit or something. The plates I have are round and a have a little "half-circle" groove in them to fit into the grinder. Any suggestions?

  2. brohnson

    brohnson Smoking Fanatic

    Yes any #12 plate will work for you. :)
  3. tlzimmerman

    tlzimmerman Meat Mopper

    What he said. I have gotten mine before from They sell plates that come with 2 packs of knives as well for like 30 bucks.
  4. hog warden

    hog warden Smoking Fanatic

    The "standard" styles for grinding plates are Enterprise, Hobart and even one called a Cleveland.

    Most small grinders for home use are to the Enterprise standard, which has that small cutout, which mates with a tooth cast into the body of the grinder, which prevent the plate from rotating.

    You can barely make that out on the left side of this photo, under the blade:

    The "tooth" is visible on the stop of these two grinders:

    Then there is hubbed and hubless. Most new plates do not have a hub, which allows them to be flipped over and used again. With hardened steel and stainless steel, that might not be a wear problem. The hub gives a larger load bearing surface for the screw hub to ride on. For older hubs like this one, which is not stainless, you might get more wear on the screw hub over time.

    The blades are self sharpening to a point. They ride on the surface of the plate and as they wear off, they sharpen themselves. There is corresponding wear on the plate and the plate and blade mate to themselves. If the plate and blade don't fit well, you won't get a good grind and sinew will start wrapping around the hub and blade. The other place plates wear is on the holes, the downwind side of the round hole eroding away, and elongating. Over time, meat stops cutting and starts shearing.

    Then there are "European" style, swept back blades (like those found on a LEM) and flat square shaped, like those on the above grinder. If the hub fits, they work.

    The only other problem is you have to work within the confined space of the clamping ring. A too thick blade and plate may leave you not enough room to tighten down the clamping ring, which has to be really tight for the grinder to work properly.
  5. badfrog

    badfrog Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

    Wow! Hog Warden you know your meat grinders!
  6. atcnick

    atcnick Smoking Fanatic

    Thanks for the info!
  7. atcnick

    atcnick Smoking Fanatic

    Is a "chopping plate" another name for a grinding plate?
  8. hog warden

    hog warden Smoking Fanatic

    Probably. Some even refer to the grinder as a "chopper".

    Sheared is probably the best term. More like the way a pair of scissors work. If tight, they cut or shear. If loose.....the paper slides between the two blades. Same with a meat grinder. The blade has to be tight to the plate....very cut or shear the sinew. Otherwise, it slides by and wraps around the hub and balls things up.

Share This Page