First Butt with QView

Discussion in 'Pork' started by mr porky, May 4, 2008.

  1. mr porky

    mr porky Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

    I started last night about 11pm. I'm smoking a 7.5# butt and using info contained elsewhere from this site I figured this would be about the right time to start.

    I Removed the butt from the fridge and coated with mustard and a dry rub, then about 11:30pm got the smoker ready.
    nice lightshow

    12:10am the butt takes the field. The coal pan was prepped previously ala the minion method. I used lump charcoal I bought earlier yesterday from the local Mex market with a bag of Kingsford Charwood in reserve.

    I woke up around 7ish and the temp was holding steady at around 200. I readied more coals and resupplied the wood chips.

    I went to the store to get supplies for the finishing sauce and marshmallows for later. Upon returning home I readied more coals and separated the ash buildup from the remaining good coals. More wood was added as well. It was at this point i started spraying with apple juice and rum.

    1:30 pm time to reload the coals add more wood and spray. Sometime before this I figured I had hit the plateau as the temp was still holding at around 160. I covered with foil and let it continue.

    3:45pm temps are just around 190. I put some foil over the butt then refoiled the pan and brought inside to rest.

    This took about 15 and a half hours so far. Temps low 50's last night and around mid 70's around noon. Was it the lack of having a decent probe, using a pan, the lump I used or the model smoker? Who knows. I'm just glad I got an idea of the timing so that when we have a get-together no-one will be waiting unnecessarily.

    The finished product!!!

    Hope you enjoy.
  2. sumosmoke

    sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Sounds like a successful smoke is in progress, Mr. P. Those butts do take some time but are well worth the wait!! Don't be afraid to let that butt rest longer than an hour. I let mine rest for 6 hours as I went back to sleep, and it pulled as easy as melted butter when I took the forks to it!

    Good luck, and looking forward to the new pics!
  3. mr porky

    mr porky Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

    Pics up to current time are here. I would agree that so far it has been worth the wait. The end result is one thing, but seeing all the different stages throughout the day just added to the anticipation.

    I don't wanna wait much more than an hour to pull, cause I wanna eat! [​IMG]
  4. richtee

    richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Patience is a virtue. But if yer hungry... welll virtue be damned! Save the juice for a finishing sauce!
  5. mr porky

    mr porky Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

    You bet! I'll be adding the pan drippings to SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce and see how it goes.
  6. seboke

    seboke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    That's a helluva nice looking butt ya got there! You SURE it's your first? Points for the great looking post too! [​IMG]
  7. meowey

    meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Nice Smoke!

    Take care, have fun, and do good!


  8. capt dan

    capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Wonderful post and pics. I am outta points for today, but if I wasn't youd be gettin some! That is some good sized chunks of lump.

    You won't be disapointed if you do let your butt rest for 2-3 hrs next time. I gaurantee it![​IMG]
  9. seboke

    seboke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    You can run out of points to give in a day? Since I can only give 3 at a time right now, never ran into that problem.
  10. cowgirl

    cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Seboke I have that problem too... not enough points to give out in a day.

    Mr. Porky...awesome![​IMG]
  11. mr porky

    mr porky Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

    Thank you! Yes, indeed this is my first butt and 2nd smoke. I would like to think that it looks the ways it does is due to taking advice and encouragement from others, and the desire to make it happen.

    Capt Dan
    Those are from the bag I got at the Mex market. That was actually 1 piece and the largest in the bag, the rest were small pieces and dust. I'd likely use it again in pinch with nothing else available, but in the meantime, I'll be looking for some royal oak and stocking up on that.

    I'd be willing to try the cooler method, and let it rest longer, now that I got an idea of what to expect, but this time took longer than I had thought, and the growlies were at my heels.

    I noticed as well that the portion by the bone damn near slid off in one pull, and the other side didn't take much more effort.

Share This Page