Chucky This weekend.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by bvalentz, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. You guys have got me all fired up over smoking a chuck roast. If I go to Sams or Winn Dixie is the meat actually called a chuck roast? I want to be sure I get the correct piece of meat.
  2. bigsteve

    bigsteve Master of the Pit

    I'm pretty sure there are a couple of different cuts that are called "Chuck roast" But they will be labeled as a Chuck roast. I can't really offer which particular cut is better. I would look for one that has decent marbeling.

    Does your dog named Weber smoke?
  3. bassman

    bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Our Sam's Club calls them chuck roast and is packed 2 to a pack. They have very good meat, at least in this part of the country. Good luck on your smoke.
  4. scubadoo97

    scubadoo97 Smoking Fanatic

    Usually the under blade roast is labeled as chuck roast. This is what you want. In our stores you typically see
    1. Chuck roast- which is the blade or under/bottom blade roast. This is what I use most often
    2. 7 bone chuck roasts- which includes the blade which is shaped like the number 7
    3. Shoulder roasts- leaner than the basic chuck
    4. Top blade shoulder roast-which is where the flat iron steaks are cut.
  5. bigsteve

    bigsteve Master of the Pit

    I've only done one. I wrapped at 160* and put it back on the smoker. Next one instead of wrapping, I'm going to cover it in a small pan with broth, veggies and potatos. And put it back on.
  6. blacklab

    blacklab Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

    When in doubt ask the butcher. 9 out of 10 times they'll be more than helpful.

    Dollars to donuts your gonna be hooked on old chuck. Enjoy and don't forget pics [​IMG]
  7. fishawn

    fishawn Smoking Fanatic

    Chuckie's ROCK![​IMG]
  8. rivet

    rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    I have never smoked a bad cut of meat, I have only badly smoked a cut of meat. [​IMG]

    Go for the chuckie!

Share This Page