Canadian needs help!

Discussion in 'Meat Selection and Processing' started by beaverhunter, May 13, 2015.

  1. I have done a lot of searching and cannot figure this out. I think one reason is that some cooking a brisket up here is almost unheard of. Can some one please explan to me the terms brisket, flat and packer some pics may even help. I bought a brisket from the butcher the other day but not really sure what I actually got.

  2. daveomak

    daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    We call that a "Packer"..... full brisket..... point and flat and all the fat.... Well, sort of a full brisket.... It's from one side of the cow... so it's half of a brisket.... if you were to ask the cow that is....
  3. davey1188

    davey1188 Newbie

    Ive smoked alot briskets Here in Ontario.Take a picture of it out of the bag .How many LBs does it weigh?
  4. oldschoolbbq

    oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Yes , what you have is a Packer , the Point is the thicker part on the right side of your last shot , the flat is the meatier piece with Point and it's associated Fat

    covering the end.

    Some trim the fat , but I leave it and let it  help 'Baste' the flat .

    Gather up your patience , you'll need it on this one. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome .

    Have fun and . . .

Share This Page