Beef sticks

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by danbo63, Jan 5, 2014.

  1. danbo63

    danbo63 Newbie

    I made sticks and the casings didnt attach properly after smoking any suggestions. I have had that happen before .Any help would be appreciated

    I used beef with 20% pork trimmings and smoked at 160  abd yes I did use collagen casings I did not do the cold water bathe and the sticks were 160 when I took them out
     
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. mossymo

    mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    I suspect you used collagen casings and the heat rendered the fat out.
    - What kind of casing did you use?
    - What was meat/fat content?
    - What was the temperature of the cook chamber while you smoked them?
    - What was the internal meat temperature of the sticks when you finished?
    - Did you cold water bathe the sticks?
     
  3. boykjo

    boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

    [​IMG]
     
  4.                                              [​IMG]
     
  5. crankybuzzard

    crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Cook/smoke temp seem ok.  I run my temps at 175 and pull at an IT of 165 and immediately drop into an ice water bath.

    20% pork fat is ok as long as the remaining 80% beef wasn't too lean.

    For items like snack sticks the water bath/shower really makes a difference.

    Charlie
     
  6. danbo63

    danbo63 Newbie

    Thanks for the input my next batch will be venison so I will definatly try the water bath
     

Share This Page